1: "J u s t M a i l"

"Do you feel the same when I'm away from you?
Do you know the line that I'd walk for you?
We could turn around, or we could give it up
But we'll take what comes, take what comes."

~ Walking the Wire by Imagine Dragons.

A soft autumn breeze whistled gaily through the park, scattering colourful leaves across the grass banking the sides of the cobblestone path

CRUNCH. CRUNCH. CRUNCH.

A girl, her converse crushing the dry, crackling leaves in her wake, walked slowly down the trail. Her head, covered by a beanie, was ducked down and her eyes were fixated on her phone as she scrolled through a playlist of songs. A set of white headphones ran down from her ears and into a plug at the bottom of her device. She began to hum the notes to a cheerful melody, her seemingly nervous and depressed demeanor starting to lift. 

A flock of birds trilled noisily overhead and the girl tipped up her face to gaze at them, revealing her bright grey-blue eyes.

The girl glanced back down towards her phone as an incoming text popped through: MUM Hey Adi, sweetie. I'm going to the shops so I might not be home when you get there. Could you do me a favour and whip up some dinner for you and your brother, pls? Thanks hun.

Adalynn sighed and stuffed her phone into her back pocket. She broke into a fast-paced jog as she set off down the path that would lead her home.

____

"Hello? Ben? I'm home!" Adalynn sang out as she burst through the front door and tumbled into the hall. She dropped her heavy school bag next to the coat rack and kicked off her shoes before going into the kitchen.

Her younger brother, Ben, was sitting at the kitchen table, a cup of Milo in one hand and a pencil in the other. His homework was scattered all over the place, along with the numerous sketches he'd drawn in class.

"Ben!" Adalynn frowned at him. "You know you're not supposed to be taking Milo without asking Mum first."

Ben shrugged nonchalantly. "Well she's not here, is she?"

Adalynn rolled her eyes as she moved towards the kitchen cupboard and began rummaging around for some plates. "You push it, bro, right up to the line."

"She ain't gonna know if you ain't gonna tell her," Ben faked an exaggerated high-pitched tone.

Adalynn snapped her head around and glared at him. "I do not sound like that."

"Do too."

"Do not."

"Do too."

"Do not!"

"Do too!"

"Urgh. Fine. Whatever."

"Ha! I won!" Ben yelled and clapped his hands with glee.

"Shut-up. How old are you? Two?"

"Yup. Something like that."

Adalynn slammed the plates down on the table in front of him. "I think that's the smartest thing you've said all day. Hey, what are these?" she reached over Ben's stack of books and papers and grasped a bunch of envelopes there were lying face-down on the table-top.

Ben shrugged. "Dunno. Just mail. Probably nothing important."

Adalynn turned the letters over and flicked through them. Suddenly, she froze. Pulling out one of the envelopes from the pile, Adalynn's eyes flickered over to the stamp in the corner: Greenhouse Academy Postal Service.

"Why are you pulling that face? It can't be that important. Aren't you supposed to be making me dinner or something? I'm starving," Ben grumbled.

Adalynn shook her head and held up a finger to shush him. With shaking hands, she tore open the envelope. A slip of paper fell out and onto the table.

For a moment, she stood there and stared at it, knowing that this was going to be the very thing that changed her life, the very thing that would determine what that year had in store for her.

Slowly, Adalynn picked up the letter and unfolded it. Her gaze scanned over it's contents and she clapped a hand over her mouth to stifle a squeal of delight. Her eyes dancing with joy, Adalynn reread the contents, just to make sure that she wasn't dreaming:

"Dear Ms. Adalynn Stanton,

We are pleased to announce that you have surpassed the qualifications needed to gain an entrance into the Greenhouse Academy High School. We proudly offer you a spot amongst our highest-ranking Greenhouse Academy students. There are several available slots in each of the school's two divisions. We have included a pamphlet that will help guide you into making the right choice - for you. You are free to decide whether you would like to join the more sports-inclined Eagles or the more academically-inclined Ravens. Please get back to us with your decision in the next three weeks. The second semester of schooling will begin in two months time, on the 3rd July. Please feel free to come along to any of the school's open-days and public career-developing sessions that are highlighted in your pamphlet. We hope to hear from you soon.

Welcome to the Greenhouse Academy.

Signed: Principal Louis Osmond." 

____

Gif: Adalynn runs up the stairs to the family apartment.