35: B i o l o g y L a b

"Oh no, I'm never gonna let it go
I'll keep fighting, I'll keep fighting
Oh no, I'm never gonna let it go
I'll keep fighting, I'll keep fighting
Nothing's gonna bring us down
Nothing's gonna take us out
Nothing's gonna stop us now."

~ Keep Fighting by Fireflight

BBRRIINNGG.

At the sound of the ring tone, Adalynn dug her hand into her back pocket and pulled out her Louie. Opening it up, she stared at the screen.

INCOMING CALL: MUM.

With a sigh, Adalynn accepted the call and held the device up to her ear.

"Hey Mum."

"Hi sweetie. How are you?"

"I - I'm good thanks. And you?"

"Oh, right now I'm going shopping at Kmart. There's a lot of nice dresses here, Ad. I - I was thinking maybe you'd like one for the midyear school ball?"

Adalynn smirked. "Mum ... the ball's ages away and besides, do you have the money to go around frivolously buying things?"

"No. But I do anyway. Look, I'd love to get one of these dresses for you. There's this really pretty pale blue one I'm looking at right now. It's not too fancy but not too simple either. I think you'd like it."

"Okay," Adalynn smiled. "Send me a pic and I'll decide. By the way, thanks."

"It's all good, love. Okay, well your brother's pestering me again, so I'd best be off. I'll send through a couple pics of it though, alright? Love you darling and see you soon."

"Yeah, see ya."

Adalynn sighed as she shut off her Louie and leaned back against the Ravens' couch.

"Let me guess, your mum again?"

Adalynn's eyes widened in amazement as she recognised the voice. Leaping to her feet, she whirled around and squealed, "Jackie!"

Hurrying around the lounge-chairs, Adalynn rushed straight to her. Enveloping Jackie in a tight hug, Adalynn buried her face in her friend's shoulder. Suddenly, Adalynn started crying.

"Hey, it's okay," Jackie tried to assure her. "Oh my god, what's wrong, Ad?"

"I - I had to tell Hayley about us, about the ROP," Adalynn gulped, tears streaming down her cheeks. "I - I saw Marcus go into this cave that opened up into the cliffs and - and Brooke got trapped inside and now she's acting like nothing even happened and ..."

"Whoa, whoa, hold up!" Jackie raised her hands in the air. "Slow down, take a deep breath and let's start at the beginning."

"Man, I've missed you!" Adalynn mumbled as she hid her face in Jackie's shoulder once again.