17: R y a n O p e r a t i o n P a c t

"I don't look for trouble,
But trouble looks for me.
And it's been waiting around corners.
Since I was seventeen."

~ Trouble by Neon Jungle

"Ethan!"

Upon hearing his name being called, Ethan, his dark brown curls bouncing against his forehead, turned around and scanned the room. "Adalynn? Hey, what's up?"

Adalynn, struggling to breath, sprinted across the lobby towards him. "H-have you seen .... have you seen ... ?"

"Whoa, whoa, whoa, hold on," Ethan chuckled, stepping down the stairs to join her. Clasping her shoulders, he looked into her eyes and whispered, "Catch your breath first."

Adalynn's eyes widened as she realised how close they were. Nodding, she ducked her head and heaved a couple of big breaths before trying again. "Have you seen the article on the NEWS?"

Ethan frowned. "No. What about it?"

"They're - they're saying Mrs Woods killed herself Ethan!"

Ethan stiffened, his gaze one of unwavering shock. "W-what? How on earth is that even possible? She was in a frickin rocket."

"That's what WE'RE trying to figure out," Jackie cut in as she hurried through the Academy's front doors towards them, Max hot on her heels.

"Who ruled it as a suicide anyway?" Max scoffed. "That's so stupid."

"Shhh," Adalynn put a finger to her lips as she glared at them. "We don't want Jason overhearing us again."

"What's this about Jason?" Ethan inquired curiously.

"N-nothing," Adalynn quickly piped up before Jackie could say anything. "So, what do you think?"

Ethan glanced around furtively and shrugged. "I say let's go down to the Deli across the road, get some drinks and have a proper discussion about this."

"I agree," Jackie said. "The food in the cafeteria sucks anyway."

"Then it's settled. Let's go."

About half an hour later, the four were seated at a table in the Deli's cafe, munching on hot chips and sipping on sodas. Ethan was fully informed in detail about the situation at hand and he'd even looked at the article on his Louie. Every one of them were confused and upset that the whole accident could be ruled as a purposeful suicide.

"It's not right," Adalynn sighed. "It's not right to simply ASSUME that Mrs Woods wanted to kill herself!! She had Hayley and Alex and Mr Woods ... there has to be another reason for all of this!"

"Well, you DID say that it seemed like she KNEW she wasn't going to come back," Jackie told her, eyebrows raised.

Adalynn rolled her eyes and huffed. "I don't know WHAT to think anymore."