42: T i c k i n g T i m e B o m b

"I wanna follow where she goes
I think about her and she knows it
I wanna let her take control
'Cause everytime that she gets close, yeah."

~ There's Nothing Holdin' Me Back by Shawn Mendes

Time dragged on and on. It felt like Adalynn had been in her 'prison' for hours; surely someone would have noticed her absence by now?

But then again, they probably wouldn't have. The Eagles' first match of the season against the Hawks was waging and all her friends would most likely be too preoccupied and excited to notice that anything was amiss. Even if they did realise she wasn't with them, they'd probably come to the conclusion that she was elsewhere amidst the massive throng that had packed the school's stadium.

Perfect.

Weak, exhausted, and thirsty, Adalynn slumped against the far wall of her cell; the cool hard rock digging into her back. She lent her head back and sighed, a few tears squeezing their way out from beneath her dark lashes.

Judy and Eric hadn't returned to the cave as of yet and Adalynn was worried. Why was Eric going to the Woods' house? What was he planning to do there? And what about Judy? What evil scheme was cooking up in her mind as she sat and watched her son play basketball?

Jason had hung around the cave for a bit, but, along with some other man Adalynn didn't recognise, he had returned to the Academy to help shut off the school's power. Ethan and Marcus slipped in and out of the room on occasion, but most of the time, they were busy on their computers. The bearded guy, however, didn't leave his spot outside of Adalynn's cell. He must've been worried that the second he turned his back, Adalynn would try and make a break for it. So he didn't move. He just sat there, his gruesome looking weapons sprawled on the floor beside him.

Adalynn's gaze wondered over to where the magnetite was securely locked behind the glass pane. It was a work of wonder and Adalynn couldn't believe that Ryan was the one responsible for it's discovery ...

She bit down on her lip so hard she tasted blood pooling in her mouth. She no longer cared what happened to her; she just wanted her friends to be safe.

Finally, after a few hours of agonising stillness, the door leading into the room burst open and Jason stormed in, a look of fury on his face.

"You - you won't believe what's happening!" he yelled, addressing the bearded man by Adalynn's cell. "H-her stupid friends are going to ruin this entire thing!" he pointed a shaking finger in Adalynn's direction.

Adalynn straightened up and stared at Jason in shock as he continued to rant, "I caught two of the Ravens in the basement, playing with Dad's old computing set."