3: R o o m N u m b e r 2 6

"Give me your hand,
promise to me
promise to me that you'll never look back
never look back."

~ Alive by Dallas Hart

Adalynn scampered up the school steps after her dad, Max not far behind her

"Do you know what room you're staying in?" Max asked curiously as he hurried to catch up with her.

Adalynn shook her head. "I'm assuming they give you your dorm numbers at the service desk."

"I hope we get to be room mates," Max said. "I - I don't know anyone else here."

Adalynn smirked. "Are you a Semester 2 student as well?"

"Yeah. Well, I was supposed to start in Semester 1, b-but ... I had some issues going on, so ... I didn't quite make the final cut," Max stammered. "Anyways, did you know that my brother comes here as well?"

"Oh, really?" Adalynn pursed her lips and nodded. "That's cool. Makes it easier for you to get in. How long has he been here?"

"Two years, but I would've gotten in without him. You see, apparently I get my really good brains from my grandmother who was a chemist. She worked in a toxicology laboratory in Brisbane called Caltex. You know, she conducted this amazing experiment where all these ..."

"Max!" Don yelled from up ahead. "Stop rambling! Why don't you ask Adalynn some questions about herself instead?"

"Oh," Max's cheeks flushed beetroot red. "That was thoughtless of me, I'm sorry."

"Hey. Don't worry about it," Adalynn clapped a hand on his shoulder. "I - I really am interested in hearing about your grandmother ... "

"Oh really?" Max's face lit up.

"Uh huh," Adalynn responded just as they all reached the service desk situated in the large, airy foyer.

"Names, please?" a sharp-looking lady crisply demanded, narrowing her eyes at the two new students.

"Adalynn Stanton."

"Max Miller."

"Hmm," the lady directed her gaze to the computer screen on her left as she scrolled through a collection of website pages.

"Please let us be in the same room, please let us be in the same room," Max murmured under his breath, impatiently drumming his fingers together.

"Adalynn, you're in room Number 26," the lady chirped as she slapped a key down on the counter in front of her. "Your roommate will be Jackie Sanders."

The hopeful look disappeared from Max's face as the lady continued, "And you, Max, will be in room Number 1. You're sharing with the Raven's Club Captain, Leo Cruz."

"Oh. Okay," Max sadly picked up his key as he turned to face Adalynn.

"It's alright Max, we can still have sleepovers and things," Adalynn smiled at him reassuringly.

"I'm sharing with the Club Captain, Adalynn!" Max whined. "There'll be no sleepovers."

Adalynn faked an exaggerated pout as she slung her arm across Max's shoulders. "C'mon, Maxie, let's just enjoy exploring this big ol' school and worry about all that other stuff later, okay?"

"Okay," Max huffed.

Even with the help of a school map, however, they managed to get lost several times before they finally found the Raven's clubhouse. Once they entered the main living space, they wandered down an adjoining hall. Numerous dorms and bedrooms, all clearly marked and numbered, were located directly off it.

Max found his room almost immediately and disappeared inside, along with Don. Mr Stanton continued walking with Adalynn as they slowly made their way down the hallway towards Room 26.

"Max seems like a nice guy," Mr Stanton commented. "I'm glad you've made a friend, Ad. It'll help you to feel more confident in this sort of environment."

Adalynn nodded, a sigh escaping her lips. "I know. He's nice. But still ... Dad, I'm gonna miss you and Mum and even Ben."

"Oh wow," Mr Stanton chuckled. "Something must be wrong then."

Adalynn punched him playfully in the arm. "Shut-up."

Once they reached Adalynn's allotted room, they stood outside for a brief moment. Mr Stanton dropped his daughter's bags down on the ground in front of the door and consulted his watch. "Shoot. I have to head back, otherwise I'll be late for my evening shift," he paused and gazed down at Adalynn. "Have a wonderful time, sweetie. I know you will. Me and your mother have faith in you."

"I - I'm gonna miss you, Dad," Adalynn whispered as she jumped into his outstretched arms.

"I'm gonna miss you too," he responded softly into her hair.

They were interrupted by the loud ringing of a bell that sounded through a set of loudspeakers mounted on the wall.

"Geez, if I have to wake up to that every morning..." Adalynn groaned.

Mr Stanton chuckled as he pressed a light kiss on his daughter's forehead. "I don't envy you. Goodbye, sweetie. I'll ring you later tonight, okay?"

"Okay, goodbye," Adalynn responded as she watched him leave. As soon as his figure vanished around the far corner, she dropped her shoulders and sighed. Stooping down, she picked up her bags and inserted the key into the door's lock. Swinging it open, she trundled inside and plonked her things down on one of two unoccupied beds.

Adalynn glanced around. The room was relatively small, but cosy. A heating system for use during the winter freeze had been set up as well as a big air conditioner for the summer heat. A large black clock sporting a set of Roman numerals graced one wall and a pair of colourful paintings covered the other. Two empty dressers and a built-in closet had been placed in one corner of the room and two beds, over-layered with matching quilts and pillows, were situated in the other.

"I see you've found the room then?"

Adalynn had to stifle a startled shriek as she jumped and whirled around to face the speaker. A blonde-haired girl, adorning with an oversized shirt and an amused smirk, stood loitering in the doorway.

"Uh ... can I help you?" Adalynn asked, eyebrows raised.

"Yeah actually. I'm Jackie, Jackie Sanders," the girl stepped forward, her dark brown eyes narrowing in suspicious scrutiny. "I'm your roommate." She kept both hands firmly tightened around the strap of her large bag.

Adalynn nodded, a little surprised by the girl's aggressiveness. "Hi. I - I'm Adalynn, but you can call me Adi or Ad, whichever you prefer."

"Fine. That'll do. My full name's Jacqueline, but trust me - you ever call me that ... and I'll punch you," Jackie responded dryly as she brushed past Adalynn on her way to the other bed.

Adalynn bit her lip as she turned around and watched Jackie's movements carefully. Maybe sharing a room with Max would've been better after all.

Adalynn began unpacking her things. A sudden vibration from her back pocket made her pause and pull out her phone. She tapped on the notification displayed on her lock-screen.

DAD: Heading home now. Love you, sweetie. Have a great time!

Adalynn sighed as she switched the phone off.

It was going to be a long day.

____

Gif: Adalynn enters her room.