9: "W h e r e a r e t h e y G o i n g?"

"You can be amazing
You can turn a phrase into a weapon or a drug
You can be the outcast
Or be the backlash of somebody's lack of love
Or you can start speaking up."

~ Brave by Sara Bareilles

"Ethan!"

Adalynn glanced at Aspen who was so excited to see the newcomer, that she clapped in ecstasy and jumped straight off the stage to meet him.

Adalynn quickly fell back, giving the floor to Leo.

"That was great," he whispered in her ear as she passed him. His fingers grazed her arm, causing her skin to tingle with the contact.

She shot him a quick smile in return as she made her way over to Max and Emma.

"I didn't know Aspen knew your brother?" Adalynn hissed, addressing Max.

"I - I didn't know she did either," Max cocked his head to one side and stared quizzically over Adalynn's shoulder.

"Max!" Leo called out, beckoning for him to come over. "What do you have to show us?"

Max hesitated.

"Go on, Max," Emma encouraged him. "I want to see you tap dance."

"Uh ... maybe some other time, okay?" Max shook his head and hurried off of the stage.

"Um, Max, where are you going?" Leo yelled after him.

Adalynn turned and frowned at him warningly. "It's okay, Leo, just let him go."

"What's wrong with him?" Emma murmured sadly. "I - I hope he's not upset ..."

Adalynn shook her head. "I'm sure he's fine."

She watched as Max joined Aspen and Ethan in the doorway. Aspen laughed loudly and tugged on Ethan's arm. Ethan pulled away from her as politely as he could before saying goodbye and turning to leave.

As he did so, Ethan's eyes scanned the room and landed, once more, on Adalynn. He gave her a small nod before leaving with Max. Max looked around worriedly and then accidentally slammed the door shut in Aspen's face. If the situation had been any different, Adalynn would've laughed at Aspen's shocked expression, but she didn't. She was worried about Max. What was going on?

"Well ... since Max has conveniently disappeared, Emma - why don't you show us what you've got?" Leo tried again.

Emma paused and swallowed hard. "I - I don't like performing in front of so many people," she stated in a low tone to Adalynn.

"It's okay, I don't like it either, but you'll be great," Adalynn assured her as she patted her arm.

Emma smiled. "Oh. Thanks."

As Emma went forward, Adalynn leaped off of the stage and went on a hurried search for Jackie and Hayley.

As Post Malone's song, Better Now, started playing, Adalynn reached the two girls.

"Is it just me or does Aspen flirt with everyone?" Jackie was complaining as Adalynn approached them. "Oi, whatcha doing? Let go of my arm!" she snapped as Adalynn quickly pulled her and Hayley aside.

"Hey!" Hayley frowned at her, annoyed. "What's going on? I was enjoying the song!"

"There are more important things at stake right now!" Adalynn grunted through gritted teeth. "Look, I know we said we wouldn't pressure Max into telling us his secret, but I think something's going on."

Hayley raised her eyebrows. "What? Seriously, c'mon."

"Yeah, what, genius?" Jackie scoffed. "Please tell me you're not a conspiracy theorist."

"I'm not talking about conspiracy theories!" Adalynn sighed in exasperation. "I - I think Max might be in trouble."

"How so?" Hayley questioned disbelievingly.

"When Max brought up the subject of his brother, he seemed concerned, even worried," Adalynn went on to explain. "Then he said he needed to spend the night with him because he hadn't seen him in ages. For some reason, Ethan was not at his family's house during the holidays. During the evening, Max was very fidgety and anxious. Then, when it came time to do his item, Max could've done it first and then gone out ... but the minute he saw Ethan, he jumped right off that stage and rushed straight to him. He didn't even say hello to Ethan! I was watching him. All Max did was stand by while Ethan brushed Aspen off and then followed him out the door. I mean, where are they going? Off campus? They could get into some serious trouble."

Jackie's mouth fell open. "W-what a speech, bravo!"

"No, Jackie, I'm being serious. Max is my friend. If something's going on, it's my job to find out what ... with or without you guys."

For a moment, neither Hayley or Jackie moved or spoke.

Suddenly, Hayley slammed her cup of cordial down on a nearby table and seized Adalynn's arm. "It's not too late to find out where they're going! Quick! Come with me!"

She ran to the door, dragging Adalynn behind her.

"Wait for me!" Jackie called out as she sprinted after them.

The three girls tumbled out of the room and rushed through the hallway towards the stairs that led down to the lobby. They dashed past a very confused receptionist and out the front doors of the Academy.

Dusk had already fallen, but even though it was hanging thickly in the air, it wasn't thick enough to hide what they saw.

Hayley noticed it first. She stopped stock-still, causing Adalynn to run straight into the back of her. Jackie, who was right behind Adalynn, slammed into her.

"Ouch!" Jackie yelped, rubbing her forehead. "W-what did you do that ...?"

"Shush!" Hayley held out a hand to silence her and pointed in the direction of the school's parking lot.

Adalynn peered around Hayley's tall figure and inhaled sharply.

She was just in time to see Max and Ethan jump into a black tinted SUV before it started up with a loud rev and sped dangerously away!

____

Gif: The mysterious car speeds off.