28: E a r t h q u a k e!

"Life was stringing me along
Then you came and you cut me loose
Was solo singing on my own
Now I can't find the key without you."

~ Symphony by Clean Bandit

Neither Jackie or Adalynn got much sleep that night

They chucked all their blankets and pillows onto the floor and binge watched an entire season of Netflix's The 100, trying desperately to forget what they had just seen. But finally, when it hit 5am that morning, they snuggled down underneath the covers and hurled whispered conspiracy theories at each other. Then they went through Adalynn's computer and stored a file of information about the ROP's work in progress on a folder on her desktop. Together they typed out what they had learned so far and what they had yet to find out.

Than, finally, the eight o'clock bell buzzed loudly throughout the Ravens' hall, indicating that it was time for their morning meal.

It was no surprise that everyone kept staring at Jackie and Adalynn as they trailed tiredly downstairs. They were a mess. They were dressed in uggies, trackies and loose shirts, their hair tied up into sloppy messy buns. There were dark circles underneath their eyes, their skin was as pale as it came and they both looked completely shot.

They both stumbled into the cafeteria and bagged a table in the corner. Jackie ordered a large bowl of yoghurt and a stack of toast along with two berry thick shakes. It was all devoured ravenously. Just as Adalynn and Jackie were stacking up their plates, a shadow fell over their table. Surprised, they both looked up into the face of Principal Louis.

"L-Louis!" Jackie leaped to her feet and forced a smile. "Uh ... hi."

Louis glanced at the two of them sternly. "You didn't get to sleep last night, did you?"

Jackie opened her mouth to respond, but then closed it again. Miserably, she shook her head.

"I'm disappointed in you both, especially you, Adalynn," Louis reprimanded them. "After you were chosen to attend the satellite launch, after you were rewarded for your hard-work and diligence ... this is not on. Adalynn, you and Jackie will both stay behind after class today. Classroom 4 needs a thorough cleaning and you two are gonna do it."

Adalynn and Jackie both groaned at the same time.

"Don't make that noise at me," Louis snapped. "You've brought this on yourselves! Now chop, chop, get to first period."

Adalynn's shoulders slumped in defeat as she watched Louis spin around on his heel and walk away.

"You're both screwed, aren't you?"

At the sound of the long-absent, yet familiarly snarky voice, both girls whirled around and squealed in delight. Hayley was leaning against the cafeteria doorframe, arms crossed over her chest.