30: A r r e s t

"The world can be a nasty place
You know it, I know it, yeah
We don't have to fall from grace
Put down the weapons you fight with."

~ Kill Em with Kindness by Selena Gomez

RAP. RAP. RAP.

Adalynn knocked at the Eagle's clubhouse door, a feeling of anxious anticipation rising up within her.

Shuffled footsteps sounded from inside. The door swung open. Adalynn glanced up ... right into the face of Ethan.

He froze. "W-what are you doing here?"

"And hello to you too," Adalynn retorted.

Ethan shook his head. "You shouldn't be here."

"I need to see Daniel," Adalynn persisted.

"He - he's out," Ethan replied, trying to close the door.

Adalynn wedged her feet in between the door and the doorframe and pushed it back open with her knee. "No. I'm sorry. You are NOT closing the door in my face like that. Where's Daniel?"

"What's going on over here?"

Adalynn looked over Ethan's shoulder to see Daniel striding towards them. She smiled. "He's out, huh?"

Ethan rolled his eyes and lifted his hands into the air. "She's all yours, Captain."

"Is that snoopy girl who won't stop asking you questions about your mum here again?" Brooke's voice trilled from the other side of the room.

Ethan stood stock-still and turned to stare disbelievingly at Adalynn.

"Quiet Brooke! I can handle this. You got a problem, Miller?" Daniel frowned at him as he neared the door.

Ethan shook his head mutely before turning away.

"Daniel, I - I'm sorry but I need to ask ..."

"Hush!" Daniel glanced around furtively as he stepped out into the hall and closed the Eagle's door behind him.

Adalynn stared at him in surprise. "W-what's going on?"

"I know something you might be interested in hearing," Daniel told her. "But first, I want something."

"There's always a catch, isn't there?" Adalynn huffed and crossed her arms. "Alright, I'm listening."