14: A t h e n a L a u n ch

"Take a seat right over there, sat on the stairs
Stay or leave, the cabinets are bare and I'm unaware
Of just how we got into this mess, got so aggressive
I know we meant all good intentions."

~ The Middle by Zedd, Maren Morris and Grey

It'd been a few weeks since the incident.

The day after Adalynn's fall, classes began. Adalynn was still feeling sickly, but she bravely carried on. She followed the schedule sheet that Jason had given each new student during the school tour. According to that, her classes on a daily basis included:

9:15am ~ Physical Science

11:00am ~ Geometry

12:30-2:00pm ~ Lunchbreak

3:00pm ~ English

4:15pm ~ Computing Programming

5:30pm ~ History

It wasn't too bad. Most of the classes Adalynn had picked herself, but of course there were compulsory classes she'd rather NOT do; ones like Maths.

Hayley and Jackie were in at least 3-4 of her classes, so she got to see them on a regular basis throughout the day. During the lunch break, Hayley, Jackie, Max, Ethan and Hayley's younger rowdy brother, Alex, would all share a table and discuss the most random of things. At nighttime, after her last class would finish, Adalynn would either go to the skatepark with Leo or to the beach to surf with Jackie. After dinner, Hayley, Jackie, Adalynn and Max would crowd around Adalynn's laptop or Max's video game. Then, when the lights shut off at 9.30pm, Adalynn would ring back home via her Louie and discuss the days' events with her parents.

It was a routine that Adalynn enjoyed and was happy with. Of course, there were some girls she took pains to avoid, like Aspen and the snobby cheerleaders from the Eagles, but she was extremely grateful for the friends who stuck by her; ones like Max, Hayley, Jackie, Leo and Ethan. They were the ones who truly mattered, the ones she truly cared about.

Leo, who had many responsibilities and jobs to keep on top of, wasn't always with them though. Whenever he saw Ethan, he used some excuse or another to get away. Hayley teased Ethan that he was scaring Leo away with his smelly feet. Jackie reckoned Leo was just a plain ol' pain in the ass because he was so domineering. Max didn't comment at all and Adalynn kept her thoughts to herself. Was it dislike that was keeping Leo away? Or was it something else entirely?