38: F o r t y - E i g h t H o u r s

"Baby even though I hate ya
I wanna love ya
I want you you you
And even though I can't forgive ya
I really want to
I want you you you."

~ Problem by Ariana Grande

RAP. RAP. RAP.

Everyone's eyes widened in surprise and horror as they all turned to face the door.

"W-whose that?" Hayley spluttered.

"I - I dunno," Daniel shrugged as he called out, "Who is it?"

"It's me, Daniel."

"Oh crap. That's Brooke," Jackie covered her mouth with her hands.

Daniel jumped straight up from his chair and dashed around the table towards the door. Unlocking it, he swung it open. "Oh, hey baby."

"Don't you dare 'hey baby' me!" Brooke shouted as she burst into the room. "What is THIS?" she shoved her Louie, bearing the picture of him and Adalynn, right in his face.

"Oh, babe, it's not what it looks like ..." Daniel began but Brooke cut him off.

"You're cheating on me! WITH HER!" Brooke pointed a manicured finger in Adalynn's direction.

"What, no, Brooke, no!" Daniel tried to protest.

"How could you do this to me?" Brooke cried as tears slipped down her cheeks. "How could you? How could you?"

"Is getting really over-emotional another sign of hypnosis?" Jackie hissed as she glanced sideways at Leo.

Leo's brow crinkled into a frown as he studied the papers in front of him. "Uh ... it doesn't say ..."

"Shut-up you two!" Hayley glared at them.

"We're through!" Brooke cried out.

As she stormed from the room, Daniel prepared to go after her. He was stopped mid-stride by Hayley. "Let ME talk to her," she said as she slipped outside.

Daniel heaved a deep breath and sat down shakily in his seat once again. He buried his face in his hands and swallowed hard. "W-what have I done?"

"It's NOT your fault, Daniel," Jackie told him. "It's Aspen's. And I'm gonna wring her neck! She just wants to spite Adalynn. She wants Ethan to like HER. She figures that getting Adalynn out of her way by setting you two up like this is gonna get her what she wants, the bitch."