12: F a l l D o w n

"Stepping outside my head

I don't wanna hear what you said

I don't wanna fall down flights of stairs

Tripwires everywhere

I'm climbing trying to get from under you

If you ask me back I'll go, I need distraction"

~ Louder by Neon Jungle

"I see how it is. I'm sorry, but I'm afraid you're gonna have to see me and Ethan get expelled because I'm not gonna tell you anything ever."

At this, all three girls stared at Max in shock.

"W-what?" Adalynn burst out pleadingly. "Max - please ... if it was something illegal - well, maybe I can help you!"

"Yeah!" Hayley cut in. "My Dad's an FBI agent, he should be able to help you guys if you're in trouble ..."

"Your dad's a freaking what?" Jackie hissed, her eyebrows raised disbelievingly. "How come you never told US that?"

"It never came up," Hayley shrugged.

"Well now that we've gotten the small talk over, I'd better go and head back to my dorm," Max stood up abruptly and brushed down his pants.

"Max!" Adalynn grabbed his arm as he turned to leave. "Please, don't do this."

Max stared at her for a minute, then he shook his head and wrenched his arm away from her. "I - I trusted you, Ad! I trusted you!" and with that, Max whirled around on his heel and stalked from the room.

A deathly silence filled the air.

"Well ... that worked," Hayley groaned as she flopped back down on Adalynn's bed.

Jackie rolled her eyes and sighed. "Now Ethan's gonna learn all about this and let me assure you, we're probably gonna get a lecture or two from him!"

"We deserve it," Adalynn mumbled, her shoulders slumped and her eyes droopy. "I - I'm sorry. The blackmailing thing was my idea; I just didn't think Max would react that way."

"Sooo ... are we gonna show the video to Louis now or what?" Hayley questioned.

All three of them exchanged glances.

"I think we can all agree on what to do that's proper," Jackie answered slowly. "But I also think we can agree on what to do that's right."

Hayley and Adalynn nodded soberly.

"Adalynn," Jackie turned to her. "Delete that video. Make sure no one sees it - ever."

Adalynn heaved a sigh of relief as she quickly tapped away at her phone screen. "It's gone," she finally spoke up.