20: D e d i c at i o n

"Wanna hear your beating heart tonight
Before the bleeding sun comes alive
I want to make the best of what's left, hold tight
And hear my beating heart one last time."
~ Beating Heart by Ellie Goulding

The next day dawned bright and early, as did the ever-approaching dedication

When Adalynn walked into the Ravens' dining room, the place was crowded with students dressed in the official school colours. Everyone was talking, joking around, and getting ready to meet the rest of the Academy classes down in the lobby.

Nine o'clock struck a sad chord into Adalynn's heart as she trailed down the stairs after the other Ravens. Jackie hadn't spoken to her since her outburst yesterday and it was pretty easy for one to get lost in such a large crowd. Adalynn had spotted Max once, but he'd disappeared a few minutes later. Leo had given her a smile and a wave, but he was busy getting everyone in order and Adalynn didn't want to disturb him.

She was on her own now.

"Adalynn!"

Adalynn stiffened and gritted her teeth as she turned around to face Aspen, who was trotting down the steps behind her. "Hi Aspen."

"Hello," she trilled. "Aren't you just enthralled with this weather? It's simply divine."

Adalynn bit her lip and shook her head. "I haven't looked outside."

"Oh, what a shame," Aspen giggled. "Leo and I had an early morning walk along the beach. Seriously, you should've been there, oh, but on the other hand, maybe not. As it is, Leo and I get along so well we don't really need a third wheel tracing along behind us."

"Whatever you say, Aspen, whatever you say," Adalynn shrugged as she reached the lobby and started walking across the room.

"I - I see you're hanging out with Ethan Miller a lot," Aspen commented as she fell into step beside Adalynn. "Is there something going on between you two?"

Adalynn frowned and stared at her. "What are you talking about?"

"It's like a high-school love story!" Aspen sighed happily. "It's so cliche, you know, but who doesn't loves a cliche? I, the actress, the singer, the Miss Popular, gets Leo, the Captain himself and you, the nerd, the loner, the ... thorn in my side, gets Ethan, a relatively bad boy, but a dumbass none the less. I'm just glad I'm not in your shoes, peasant."

Adalynn stopped and whirled around sharply. "Aspen, shut your pie-hole before I do it for you! If you think being snarky and flirty is 'oh-so-amazing' then go spit your garbage out on someone who cares, because I DON'T!!" and with that, Adalynn spun around on her heel and stormed off, losing Aspen in the growing crowd.