7: "J u s t B e i n g N o s y"

"I remember when you were all mine
Watched you changing in front of my eyes
What can I say?
Now that I'm not the fire in the cold
Now that I'm not the hand that you hold
As you're walking away."

~ Safe Inside by James Arthur

"I wish we didn't have to go to the party," Adalynn complained from her sprawled position on the floor

"I know right?" Jackie rolled her eyes. "Parties suck."

"We could binge watch an entire season of Stranger Things on my laptop if we didn't have to go," Adalynn continued to whinge.

"Stranger Things?" Max's head shot up. "I love that series!"

"Of course you do," Jackie huffed. "C'mon, it's my turn now. Give me the dice!"

Max dropped the dice into Jackie's outstretched hand before lowering his head to study the board in front of him. "I'd vouch that Adi will reach home first, then me next ... I think you're gonna lose Jackie."

"Thanks for the update, but last time I checked, I didn't need an analytics instructor to tell me what is clearly obvious," Jackie shot out sarcastically as she rolled the dice.

It landed on a two.

"See? Exactly what I was talking about," Max said. "You're gonna lose. Ad, it's your turn now."

Jackie rolled her eyes and gestured towards the dice. "Feel free."

Adalynn chuckled as she reached over to grab the dice. Just then, a figure darkened their doorway. The three turned to see Leo standing there.

"Sorry to interrupt, but it's nearly time for the party to start," he stated.

"Do we have to go?" Jackie grumbled.

Leo frowned. "Yes. It's mostly set up for the new students and Max and Adi are a part of that. Everyone, including you, Jackie, has to come - just for a little while at least. You'll get to know the other Ravens better. C'mon, it'll be fun."

Adalynn groaned as she pushed herself off the floor. "Brilliant."

"Can you give me a hand?" Jackie asked, a weary tone lacing her voice. "I'm afraid if I sit down for much longer, I'll never be able to get up again."

Adalynn laughed. "Get over here, Max, and make yourself useful," she said as she grabbed one of Jackie's arms.

Max seized the other one and together they lifted Jackie off the ground.

"Thanks," she mumbled. "You can - urgh - take your hands off me now."

"Right, this way," Leo jerked his head in the direction of the hall.