15: "S h e' s D e a d"

"I will wait right by your side
If I can't find the cure, I'll
I'll fix you with my love
No matter what you know, I'll
I'll fix you with my love ...
Promise I'll always be there."

~ The Cure by Lady Gaga

"Hayley, sweetie, how are you?" Ryan Wood's face popped up on Hayley's Louie screen

"Hi Mum! Yeah, I'm great, yourself?"

Ryan hesitated before responding. "Well ... I'll admit, I am a little bit intimidated. All the media attention this rocket launch is getting's not helping much either."

Hayley chuckled. "Mum! You're famous. You'll be known as the first woman astronaut to orbit the moon! That's an achievement. I wish I was doing as much as you were at your age."

"Being at that Academy is an achievement, Hayley, and don't you forget it. Who are those people behind you, sweetie?" Ryan pressed her face closer, trying to get a good look at the others.

"Relax Mum," Hayley laughed. "These are just my friends: Jackie, Max and Adalynn."

"Hi!" they all spontaneously replied, each giving a small wave and a smile.

"Hello," Ryan smiled at them. "It's so nice to meet you all ... I was going to say in person, but I guess this is as good as it's gonna get for now. When I return, I'm coming to visit the Academy. Then I'll see you all in person. Hayley can't blabbing on about you all. You're good friends to her."

"Aw, Mrs Woods, that's very nice of you," Adalynn stated warmly.

"I can't wait til you come and visit us!" Jackie unexpectedly blurted out. A flush rose to her cheeks, "I - I mean ..."

"I can't wait to come," Ryan reassured her.

Max let out a short laugh. "Wow. I still can't believe I'm talking to the Astronaut Ryan Woods herself!"

"Ryan?"

Ryan turned her head away from the screen and looked over her shoulder. A middle-aged African woman was standing behind her.

"You have to go, Ryan, the launch is in ten minutes."

"I'll be right there, Judy," Ryan nodded at her before turning back to Hayley and the others. A sober look had replaced her previous one of cheer and warmth. "Hayley," Ryan dropped her voice to a whisper. "Hayley, I need you to do something for me."