29: E ig h t M o n t h s a n d C o u n t i n g

"We don't talk anymore, we don't talk anymore
We don't talk anymore, like we used to do
We don't love anymore
What was all of it for?
Oh, we don't talk anymore, like we used to do."

~ We Don't Talk Anymore by Charlie Puth [feat. Selena Gomez]

A piercing scream reached Adalynn's ears as she laid, curled up on the floor, eyes tightly closed and hands over her head

A terrific smash sounded from upstairs. Shrieks and yells of horror and shock resounded and Adalynn knew that the other students in the building were just as terrified as she was.

I - I'm gonna die. I'm gonna die. I'm gonna die in a frickin earthquake! she inwardly repeated the phrase.

Then, just as suddenly as it had started, the tremors stopped.

Adalynn opened her eyes and slowly lifted up her head. She glanced around the room. Books and papers and files covered the floor. Splintered pieces of furniture were lying everywhere and shards of glass covered the area. It was a mess.

"J-Jackie?" Adalynn questioned in a trembling voice. "Jackie? Are you okay?"

The blonde slowly shifted into a sitting position and stared over at Adalynn. "I - I can't believe what just happened."

Adalynn shook her head and gulped. "Neither can I."

A loud rap at the classroom door caused both girls to jump.

"Adalynn! Jackie! Are you in there?" a panicked voice yelled.

"Yes! We're fine!" Jackie shouted back.

The door swung open and Louis appeared, his hair a ruffled mess and streaks of grime smeared all over his cream-coloured shirt. He sighed in relief. "I - I thought you might be injured. Come quickly, all the students are gathering in the assembly room. I just need to make sure everyone's accounted for."

Jackie and Adalynn nodded solemnly in response as they struggled to their feet and stepped over pieces of glass on their way to the door.

As Louis surveyed the chaotic mess, he shook his head sadly. "This is a major setback for the Academy," he whispered to himself.

Adalynn heard him, however, and tried to console him. "It's okay, Principal, it's not your fault."

"If only I could've done more," Louis sighed. "Alright then, let's get you two outta here."