31: M i s s i n g R a n g e r

"The more I stray the less I fear
And the more I reach the more I fade away
The darkness right in front of me
Oh it's calling out and I won't walk away."

~ Rise Up by Imagine Dragons

"We're here to arrest Jackie Sanders

"We're here to arrest Jackie Sanders."

"WHAT!!!" Adalynn yelled, jumping forward. "Eric, you can't arrest her!"

Eric shrugged and glanced at her sympathetically. "I'm sorry but I have my orders."

"Your orders?" Adalynn spluttered. "Why? What did she do?"

"That information is classified," Eric returned. "Ned, Lachlan, secure the building. Tom, Hank you two are with me. Make sure nobody leaves this campus."

"Yessir," the other officers replied anonymously as they set about their different duties.

"Eric ... please don't," Adalynn whispered, stepping into his path. "Jackie - s-she's my best friend."

"I'm sorry, but we have to do what we have to do. Now get out of the way before my men are forced to restrain you."

"Adalynn, stop, it's okay," Louis assured her, gently pulling her back. "Jackie will be fine. She's a strong girl."

Adalynn gritted her teeth and remained silent, trying to keep the tears from glistening in her eyes.

Jason led Eric and the two officers upstairs while the remaining cops went to stand near the front door.

"Why are they doing this, Louis?" Daniel questioned as soon as he, the principal and Adalynn were left alone.

Louis shook his head. "If only I knew, Daniel, if only I knew."

They were interrupted by the soft hum of a car engine pulling up before the Academy doors. A car door was opened and closed. The click-clack of a woman's high-heeled shoes echoed throughout the room.

"Oh, Officer Lachlan, hi. It's so good to see you again!" Judy's voice floated through the air.

Daniel and Adalynn exchanged swift glances. Judy knew Lachlan? How?

"Judy!" Louis called out upon hearing her voice. He stepped forward and waved to her. Judy poked her head in the door, smiled at him and came walking over.

"Louis!" she exclaimed. "How I've missed you. And Daniel! Hello my sweet boy. Adalynn? What are you doing here? Aren't you all supposed to be in class?"