33: I n v e s t i g a t i o n G e t s D e a d l y

"Turn your face towards the sun
Let the shadows fall behind you
Don't look back, just carry on
And the shadows will never find you."

~ Towards the Sun by Rihanna

The next few hours flew by like a whirlwind

Adalynn, Brooke, Hayley and Louis all met up with Judy in the local hospital's waiting room. They stayed put for a few hours until a white-clad doctor made an appearance and assured them that although Daniel would have to be given pain relief for a few weeks, that he would be okay.

"W-what about this taser, doctor? I would like to see it," Judy asked him.

Adalynn frowned, confused. Why on earth would Judy want to see the taser?

"Why's that?" the doctor replied, obviously as puzzled by the request as Adalynn was.

"I - I would just like to see what hurt my son, that's all," she shrugged.

The doctor shook his head. "Even if I wanted to let you see it, I couldn't, it's classified and besides, it's already on it's way to the scientific lab for analysis."

"Oh," Judy nodded and gave the doctor a swift smile. "W-when can I see him?"

"He'll be prepped in a few minutes," the doctor told her. "I'll come and notify you all shortly, however, only family members are allowed in at this point."

"Thank you," Judy replied. As the doctor walked off, she turned to Louis with a charming smile, "Would you excuse me for a moment, Louis? I have a quick phone call to make."

Louis nodded at her absent-mindedly. Judy picked up her handbag, wrestled her phone out of it and walked off down the hallway.

Adalynn gazed after her, somewhat wishing she could know what on earth Judy was on about.

A few minutes later, however, she returned, just in time to be admitted into Daniel's room. She stayed in there for quite a while. In the meantime, Louis gave the girls permission to go buy some snacks from the vending machine down the hall.

"We'll have to leave soon so don't take too long," he called after them as they hurried away.

"We won't!" Hayley returned over her shoulder.

As they all stood in front of the vending machine, Adalynn cast a sideways glance at Brooke. She wasn't Adalynn's favourite person in the whole world; she could cast a very nasty and gloomy vibe if she wanted too, but these last few hours in the hospital's waiting room had proved to Adalynn that there was a nice side to Brooke after all. Hayley must've felt the same way because she was being extra nice to Brooke too.