Thirty Nine : Induction

"I don't think I can do this, Eros," I whispered to Eros, fingers tightly curled into the back of his white dress shirt as I hid behind him.

His broad shoulder was facing me as he stood in front, blocking me with his taller frame from the crazy crowd that had gathered before us.

Today was supposed to be my induction day into the pack where I will be officially introduced as the Alpha Female to everyone and I can't be any more nervous than I already am.

Most of the people gathered here knew about my involvement with the government and I doubt they actually want me as their Alpha Female.

I tried to get Eros to push the date back as much as I could but, unfortunately, the day has come.

And hopefully, it won't be as disastrous as what I think it will be.

For the most part, I am content being a person that stood in the crowd, immersed and hidden in the sea of people.

But somehow, the gods had other intentions for me when they decided to 'gift' me with this magical womb and granted me an Alpha mate.

I'm not complaining but it would be nice to get a little break from all this action and drama for once.

Taking a sharp inhale of breath, I finally side stepped from Eros shadow to stand beside him.

I could barely look at the crowd of people when he reached out a hand towards me and it felt as if just his gesture was enough to anchor me to safety and reality.

My heart slightly calms at his simple notion when I slipped my own hand into his, weaving our fingers together into a tight hold.

I really hope he doesn't mind my sweaty hands because when I get nervous, my hands sweat.

A lot.

From the corner of my eye, I could see Eros lip twitch in response to my thought as if he found my predicament amusing.

Which it's not, if you ask me.

"It'll be okay. I'm right here, Emira," he murmured reassuringly, leading us further to the front until we stood facing the crowd of people in his pack.

Just knowing that Eros is here manages to calm most of my nerves, along with the urge to flee like a frightened animal.

I gritted my teeth and stood my ground beside him.

He said some things to the crowd that I completely overlooked as I tried to calm myself down.

If not, I think I will throw up in front of everyone.

Really.

Wouldn't that be a great situation to be in?

Not only will I be the laughing stock of the entire pack but I will also be the first Alpha Female to throw up all over herself while be inducted.

Note my sarcasm.

"As everyone knows, Ziron-e has been created in order to defend our pack from Hunters and it is all thanks to our Alpha Female that we are able to recreate this substance," Eros' voice boomed across the room as I literally froze in my place. "Everyone welcome Emira Hall, your Alpha Female."

Emira Hall?

I'm Emira Hall now?

Albeit I knew that this is one of the outcomes of us mating, it still didn't help the astonishment that colored my face from actually hearing my name change.

Not by seeing the change of name on a piece of paper sent to me by a governmental agency but actually hearing it come out of Eros' mouth solidified the fact that we are in a permanent union of some sorts.