Chapter 96

~A/N~ It's so weird not having to work, I constantly feel like I'm procrastinating
Enjoy the chapter!
Leila xx

A week later, I had cut contact with the boys. The thick cloud of tension between Luke and I made it almost impossible to breathe, and Ginny didn't want to be around Michael after the breakup. I found it was hard to be around people that didn't know about Naadiya (despite me not wanting to tell anyone) so we remained fairly isolated, joined by Hermione and sometimes Luna or Neville, while Calum tried to spend as much time with us as possible.

He gave me regular updates on the situation with Pansy, which just made things worse although I was grateful for him satisfying my unhealthy curiosity. If I was completely honest, it hurt me that he chose the boys - he knew about my crippling mental state and still opted for Luke over me.

It scared me more that my spells were becoming weaker - the grief had worsened my magical ability and I was losing my intellect along with my will to live, leaving me in a constant state of despair.

Care of Magical Creatures quickly became my least favourite lesson; I was angry at Luke, loyal to Ginny so ignored Michael, and hurt because of Calum (who tried to make my time more bearable, but it was difficult with such a small group). Most of the time was spent chatting with Hagrid, who was more than happy to strike up friendly conversation that didn't involve the others.

The free periods were worse, as Ginny was a year below and didn't have the luxury of free time, and Hermione took different subjects so her timetable was highly contrasting to mine. Most of the time was spent with Neville, Harry and Ron, dull company that I couldn't complain about as I had brought it upon myself.

It was during one of these free periods that Calum pulled me aside for what I assumed was another update, and I wasn't disappointed.

"Luke and Pansy kissed. I thought you should know."

My throat tightened and I struggled to choke back the familiar feeling of tears that I used to be able to hold back so well.

"I didn't think-"

"Me neither. Luke was just doing it to annoy you, now it's going too far. I don't know when he's going to stop, but remember how much he still loves you and he will stop."

"He doesn't love me anymore," I sighed. "Why else would he have run away after the kiss?"

"Because he's scared you won't love him back," he raised his eyebrows. "He was going to make a move after the holidays, but you come back depressed and emotionless, barely eating or speaking and avoiding his eye. He must be terrified you hate him."

"Has he told you this?"

"Well, no..." Calum bit his lip. "But I'm his best friend, and I can tell."

"I love you, but you're not being the most helpful," I groaned, turning my head as Luke came in the room, hair messy and lips swollen with a huge grin on his face.

"Guess who I've been with?" he smirked at Michael and Ashton, his voice loud so it projected over to Calum and I.

"Stop it, mate. This isn't funny anymore," Calum scoffed, and Luke stood up quickly, stalking over to us.

"It's not a joke. Don't tell me what to do, if anyone should stop talking to someone it's you! Why are you still talking to Leila, she's putting on a show of being miserable because she can't handle having the attention off her. Now look at her, she's abandoned us for no reason and dragged Ginny away too! She's just a bitch."

The air got caught in my lungs and I tried not to throw up. Did he just?

Tripping over my feet, I stumbled to the portrait hole and desperately climbed through, not sure where I was going to go but knowing I had to leave.