Chapter 7

The next morning... I couldn't help but feel proud that he was still knocked out cold when I woke up. He was turned to face me his eyes shut, his broad chest rising and falling steadily, one arm tucked under his head the other overlapping mine. Slowly I pull my skin from his moving my arm out from under his heavy one, careful not to wake him. I get dressed and go to wake up the kids.

"Good morning beautiful Florentine." I smile at her as she sits up with heavy eyes.

"Fi?" She croaks.

"Yes."

"Where were you last night?"

"I'm sorry I stepped out for longer than I wanted." I brush back her unruly hair. "Come on let's get dressed."

"I can do it." She pushes my hands away gently.

"Wow, she becomes a year older and she knows everything. Fine, fine, I'll wake up Chris." I leave her alone to dress herself, which essentially is a huge disaster. Chris is admient on doing the same as his sister, and I don't fight it. Instead I head down for the kitchen, making sure everything's set, putting their gifts from Jared infront of their seats. When the kids come down, in mitch match outfits and their hair hardly brushed, I just chuckle lightly to myself when they get in their seats, a gift in their hands. "What are those?"

"Your gifts." Chris says matter of factly.

"Can we open them now Fi?"

"Of course, you could've opened them last night." I smile at them sheepishly leaning over the table to watch them both tear into their gifts. Chris got the newest action figure and lego set, Claire got the realistic baby doll she wanted the last time we went shopping.

"Oh thank you Fi!" They shout together.

"You're very welcome, and these are from daddy." I push the gifts closer to them.

"Jared got us something?" Claire asks.

"Doesn't he usually?"

"No, he usually gives us money to get whatever we want." Chris says pushing closer to the table so he can reach the top of the gift bag.

"Well, I don't know what it is, but I'm sure you're going to love it." I smile at them reassuringly. They tear into the bag with such excitement it makes my heart melt. Claire got the twin boy to the realistic baby I got her, and Chris got a remote controlled sports car with superheroes on the side.

"So cool!" Chris grins turning over the box.

"It's the twin!" Claire says jumping up and down in her seat. "Did you plan this?" She asks looking at me.

"No, I had no idea what he got you, either of you." Lucky guess? I have a feeling that's too good to be true.

"Jared did this on his own?"

"Yes." I nod slowly. "Can I ask something though? This has been bothering me for a while. Why do you call him Jared?" They both shrug.

"We always have, he wanted us to." I look between the two of them as they stare at their new toys.

"What's all the excitement about?" Jared asks coming down in his pajama pants yet, rubbing his eyes, his hair falling from his messy bun.

"Thank you Jared!" They shout in unison. He looks at them confused before looking at the gifts that were still clutched in their hands. He just nods before looking up at me.

"I didn't expect you to give them it so early in the morning."

"I didn't know you wanted me to wait for a specific time." I fake smile at him before leaning on my hand. "Maybe you should've specified."