one

it's been thirty-seven days since the moment my life changed forever. since i changed forever.

i walk out of my bedroom and head downstairs. today was my first day of senior year. the day i've been dreading.

i enter the kitchen and see my dad sitting at the table drinking his coffee. "morning," i mumble.

"good morning, ry. ready for your first day as a senior?"

"no. but i guess i have to be, right?" i sit down in the seat across from him, grabbing an apple from the fruit bowl.

"listen, i know things will be different. but let's try to get things back to normal around here, yeah?"

"dad, you can't just go back to normal after something like this. we can't just forget." he nods, setting his coffee down. i take a bite out of my apple, staring out the window. it's raining again. just another day in jersey.

"you're right, you're right. it just hurts me to see you changing so much." i simply nod and continue eating my apple. honestly, what did he expect? for me to be the same exact person?

"so, i just put in some new tires on your jeep. should be all set for the day."

"thanks. i think i'll get going then so i could get my schedule before the rush." i get up and toss the core of my apple in the trash. i head towards the door, slipping on my vans and grabbing my car keys. i walk out the door to my jeep, tossing my backpack in the back seat.

traffic is horrible. i sit in my car at a red light, thinking about the events of my summer. it consisted of me staying in, eating food, and isolating myself from the world around me.

i need to get a life.

but how could i? i feel like life can't be normal anymore. not since that day. that god-awful day.

the light turns green, and i step on the gas. i finally arrive. East Coast High School. i turn into the school parking lot to my regular space. i turn off my car, grabbing my backpack from the seat behind me and walking out. i see students everywhere socializing, reuniting with friends, hugging and laughing. living their normal teenage lives. my heart pangs as i continue walking.

i enter the school and head to where all the tables are set up to give out schedules. finding the A-G table, i tell them my last name. "avery," i mumble. the woman sorts through the schedules, finding mine. she hands it to me and i take it, leaving with a small grin.

i walk down the hall and unfold my schedule, looking to see what my first period is. Literature with Mr. Parker. Great.

i continue looking over my schedule when someone grabs my arm. "hey rylin! where've you been all summer?" it was amy, one of my old friends. i totally cut her out of my life after that day. her along with everyone else.

"uh, around." i shrug. she smiles and grabs my schedule.

"oh, we have first period together! come on!" she chirped. she was entirely too perky for my liking. i definitely didn't feel like holding a conversation with her.

"i actually need to head to my locker. i'll meet you there?" she nods and walks away, finding another one of her friends along the way.

C149. i walk along the hall and find my locker. i turn the knob according to the combo given on my schedule and jiggle the handle. it opens and i stuff my coat inside. i close my locker and jump when i see him standing behind the door.

ethan.

he was wearing black jeans, a black t-shirt, and ripped up vans. his dark brown, fluffy hair perfectly quiffed up on his forehead.

"god, why would you scare me like that?"

"you've been ignoring me all summer. what was i supposed to do?"

"get the point."

"c'mon ry, don't be like that. can we please just talk?"

"no, ethan. i don't wanna talk about it. i need to get to my first period class." i turn around, starting in the direction of my first period. i didn't feel like talking to anyone, not even him.

i feel a hand around my wrist turning me around.

"hey, i think i deserve an explanation. don't you think i deserve at least that?" i look into his pleading eyes, feeling myself give in.

i pull my arm out of his grasp and shake my head. i turn around and walk off to first period leaving him behind. i hear him calling my name but ignore it.

it was too painful. i didn't want to talk to anyone. especially not have to explain myself to him. i was a total bitch for leaving him like i did and couldn't bear to face it.

i enter first period and see an empty desk towards the back. i walk down the row and slip into the seat, dropping my backpack to the ground. i see amy in one of the seats towards the front and she turns around and waves at me, a huge smile on her face. i form a small grin in her direction and then look away.

at least there was one familiar face in this class.

i take out my phone and scroll through it before class starts in two minutes. right before the bell rings, i hear someone rush in.

of-fucking-course.

- - -

thank you for reading this first chapter! It's my first book so I'm still kind of getting the hang of it, but I promise the story gets a lot more interesting very very soon! next chapter will be up very soon!

comment and vote! i really appreciate it!
- lexi