twenty-four

i stand there in shock.

who the hell are these for?

i grab the bottle, looking for any name or prescription tag. i don't find anything.

i walk out of the bathroom with the bottle in hand. "amy?" i call out.

"coming!" i hear her voice from upstairs. a few seconds later, she runs down out of breath, leaning over with her hands on her knees. "okay, i'm here. what is it?"

i hold the bottle out for her to see. her face immediately goes pale, her eyes widening. 

"where did you find those?" she asks me.

"in the medicine cabinet in this bathroom. the more important question is whose are these?"

amy's face is blank; she's speechless. 

"well?" i cross my arms, waiting.

"i can answer that for you!" kara appears from upstairs, walking over to us. she grabs the bottle from my hands. "these are-"

amy covers her mouth with her hand, finishing her sentence. "mine! those are mine."

i stand there with my jaw dropped. amy is pregnant?

"wait, s-so you're... you're pregnant?" i stare at her in disbelief.

"yes! i am... with child." she smiles, and i feel obliged to do the same.

"why was kara going to answer then?" i ask, still very confused on this whole situation.

"kara found them first, so i had to tell her first." amy gives me a sympathetic smile. "i promise i would've told you first if i could've."

kara's about to say something, but amy cuts her off. "kara, can i see you over here for a second?"

she grabs her arm, dragging her into the kitchen while i just stand there in complete shock.

how could amy be pregnant? she wasn't even seeing anyone as far as i knew.

i can hear amy whisper-shouting at kara from outside the kitchen, but i walk away and sit on the couch in the living room since it wasn't any of my business. 

ethan comes down now. "hey babe, i finished unpacking some of our clothes." he leans over the couch from behind, kissing my cheek. 

"that's good." i sit there, still in shock. "i just got some very interesting news."

ethan raises his eyebrows. "and what's that?" he sits next to me on the couch.

"amy is pregnant." his eyes widen as soon as i say that. 

"no way?" his lips curve into a small smile, then stop. "wait, are we happy for her or...?"

i shrug. "i'm not sure yet. we haven't really talked about it, yet."

he nods his head. "where is she now?"

"her and kara are talking in the kitchen." i nod my head in the direction of the kitchen.

"oh, hey, speaking of kara, she's been trying to tell me something for the longest time." he tells me with a confused expression on his face.

"oh, me too. but i'm guessing she was just trying to beat amy to tell me about the pregnancy."

"yeah, probably. she can't not get into other people's business." i nod in agreement.

i still can't wrap my head around the fact that my best friend is having a baby. i want to be happy for her, but she's still in high school. and what's she going to do about college?