thirty-four

i wake up to the sound of luna crying from the monitor. the tv is still on and ethan's head is resting in my lap, his arms wrapped around my thighs. 

the moment i lift my head, i feel a crook in my neck from the way my head was angled against the couch cushion. 

i tap ethan's shoulder, trying to wake him up.

"hmm?" he hums groggily. 

"luna's crying." 

he groans, flipping onto his back as he squints up at me. "what time is it?"

i grab his phone out of his pocket and check the time. "uh, two-thirty in the morning."

he sighs, then sits up and rubs his eyes. "i'll be right back."

he gets up and walks to the stairs. i just stretch my legs and rub my neck while i wait.

a few minutes later, he comes back down carrying luna. 

"we have a problem," he tells me while luna plays with the drawstrings of his sweatshirt.

"what?" 

"we ran out of diapers." 

i scoff. "that sounds like a you problem, ethan." i lay back against the couch.

"no, you're living with us now so it's a we problem." he tosses the keys at me. "i need to go put socks on her, so you go start the car."

"why do we all have to go? i can watch luna while you're gone."

"do you know anything about babies?" he raises an eyebrow at me.

to be honest, i know nothing about them. i'm an only child and never did anything like babysitting, but i wasn't going to let him know that.

"i know tons." i cross my arms, raising my head from the couch to look at him.

"rylin, shut up. no you don't."

"ethan, i can manage for the half hour you're gone."

he walks over to me then, grabbing my hand and pulling me up to stand. "no, it's more fun this way. stop being a lazy ass and go start the car."

i groan and walk to the door while ethan and luna go back upstairs.

after i slip on some gym shoes, i take the elevator down to the ground floor and look for ethan's car in the parking garage. when i find it i turn it on and get inside to wait.

it's literally two in the freaking morning and ethan is dragging me to the grocery store to get diapers with him. if this is what it's like living with him, then i'm really regretting it right now.

ethan finally shows up and puts luna in her car seat that's behind my seat. then he gets in the driver's side and drives out of the parking garage.

"you look so funny right now," ethan says out of nowhere.

"so do you," i retort. 

"why are you in such a bad mood?" he glances at me.

"are you kidding me right now? you know why."

i stare out the car window and admire the view. i have to admit, driving in the middle of the night is kinda fun. but not when i'm still half asleep.

luna keeps babbling in the backseat, clearly not tired anymore. ethan can't stop laughing at her.

"god, she's so frickin adorable," he says, a huge smile on his face.

"she's talkative like you," i tell him.