thirty-five

"i'm not going to new york." i cross my arms and look at him. "i'll come with you to the hospital."

ethan shakes his head. "ry, i got this. you go to new york and pack your stuff so you can finally move in with me. kara's not going to want to see you anyway."

ethan had gotten a call from the hospital that kara was just admitted an hour ago. apparently she has him as her emergency contact.

"okay, who's going to watch luna while you're visiting her?" i raise my eyebrows.

he sighs, running a hand through his hair. "i forgot about that."

kara is in the critical care unit, so babies are definitely not allowed.

ethan groans and walks over to his car, unlocking the doors so i can get in. we strap on our seatbelts and head for the hospital.

"did they say what even happened?" i ask him.

"no, just that she's in critical condition right now." ethan licks the inside of his cheek, his eyes set on the road.

despite what she's done, i'm not going to wish death on her. no matter how much she may deserve it.

when we get there, ethan parks outside of the emergency wing. then he gets luna and we head inside.

"hi, i'm here for kara becker," ethan tells the nurse at the desk.

"right, she's in the CCU. here is a visitor's pass." the nurse hands him a slip, then ethan turns to face me.

"okay, i'll be right back." he gives me luna.

i just nod, then walk to the waiting room and sit.

-

ETHAN'S POV

i walk down the hall looking for her room.

i really don't feel like seeing her. but since she put me as her emergency contact, i don't really have a choice.

we still haven't even talked since last weekend when she tried killing our baby.

i finally find her room and walk in quietly, where i find her laying on a hospital bed asleep. the first thing i notice is how pale she looks.

"you must be ethan?" the doctor walks in and shakes my hand.

"yes."

"okay, so i know you must be wondering what happened." he flips through to a page in his clipboard. "kara was brought in by a neighbor due to an overdosage on her meds."

my mouth goes dry, realizing what that meant.

"we're not sure whether or not this was an attempt at suicide yet. but by the amount in her system, it's more likely that it was."

i look over at kara, who's starting to shuffle around. she opens her eyes, squinting from the light coming through the window.

"ethan?" she rubs her eyes and looks at me.

"i'll let you two to talk." the doctor smiles at us, then walks out.

kara sits up in her bed, her eyes going wide. "why the hell am i here?"

i sit on the edge of the bed next to her. "they said a neighbor brought you in."

she wipes her face, sighing loudly. "fuck," she mumbles under her breath. some blonde woman frantically rushes in then.

"hey kar- who's this?" she walks to the other side of kara's bed, setting her purse down on the chair beside her.

"mom, this is ethan."