thirty-one

i put the key into ignition, starting up my jeep. i then take out my phone and text ethan to send me the address to his apartment.

after a few seconds, he sends it. i put it into the GPS app on my phone and then back out of the driveway and follow the directions there.

when i get there about ten minutes later, i park in the parking garage and then wait at the entrance of the building for ethan to buzz me in.

"it's me," i say into the speaker on the wall, and the door buzzes unlocked.

i walk to the elevator, hitting the button for the fifteenth floor. once i get there, i can hear shouting as i walk to his door.

i knock, and ethan opens it almost immediately. "thank god you're here."

i hear glass shattering in the background. "what's going on?"

"here, take luna." he hands me luna gently, then turns around and walks back in. i follow hesitantly. 

luna's eyes are puffy, as if she's been crying. i hold her close to me instinctively. 

looking around, there's a bunch of broken glass on the ground. i see kara standing there, her eyes wide. "i can't believe you ethan!" she yells at him, grabbing a vase from one of the end tables and throwing it on the ground.

"kara, stop it!" ethan shouts, grabbing kara's arms. she tries resisting him, hitting his chest to make him let go. 

i cover luna's ears lightly and turn my body to face her away from them. when i look down at her, i can see she looks scared. 

well, i would be too if my parents were screaming at each other and i was in some stranger's arms.

kara finally stops hitting ethan and glares at me. "you brought her here?" she narrows her eyes at ethan.

"i just needed her help so she could watch lun-"

kara cuts him off, slapping him across the cheek. i flinch as the sound echoes through his high-ceiling apartment.

then she breaks down crying. she falls to the ground, ethan still holding her wrists. he kneels next to her, placing a hand on her shoulder. 

"get her out of here," kara says through sobs. "and get my baby out of her arms."

ethan hesitates, looking up at me. "now!" she screams at him, then goes back to crying.

ethan stands up and walks over to me. i hand him luna, and he holds her so her head is on his shoulder. i can see luna is relieved to be back in her dad's arms.

"i'll just go then," i say, not wanting to piss off kara any more than she already is.

"no, go up to my room," he says quietly so only i can hear. "i'll be a few minutes."

"are you sure?" i look over his shoulder at kara, who's watching us with narrowed eyes.

"yes, just wait for me up there." his large hand holds luna's back as she snuggles into his neck. "i have to deal with kara."

i nod and then turn around, heading up the stairs behind me. before going up, i look over at them one more time and see kara taking luna from ethan's arms as she gives him a death stare.

before kara can see me, i walk into ethan's room.

-

ETHAN'S POV

kara takes luna from me, and i instantly feel fear consume me. "where are you taking her?" i ask her as she starts walking away.

"away from you."