thirty-two

RYLIN'S POV

ethan ran past kara. i tried to follow him, but kara stopped me.

"you're such a bitch. why won't you just leave my family alone?" she glares at me.

"are you kidding me? you may be luna's biological mother but besides that, you're nothing."

kara lifts her hand as if she's going to hit me, but ethan's voice cuts her off.

"rylin! rylin, come here!" he screams.

i try walking past kara, but she holds me back. "don't you dare," she grits her teeth at me.

ethan keeps calling for me, so i just grab kara by the shoulders and throw her on the ground. then i run through the hallway, following ethan's voice.

"ry, i'm in the bathroom!" he shouts. ethan's voice is high pitched and panicked, making me even more worried.

i finally find it, opening the door and walking in. i see ethan hovered over luna, who's laying on a towel. he's giving her CPR, and i can see he's trying to be as gentle as he can but he's shaking.

"oh my god, ethan, what happened?" i ask, crouching next to him. 

he takes a break from CPR for a second, looking up at me. "call 911, ry, now!" 

i stand, grabbing my phone from my pocket. i dial quickly, then wait. 

"911 what is your emergency?"

"w-we need an ambulance, um, our b-baby drowned and she's not waking up," i tell the responder. 

she asks me for the address and any other information she may need. i'm just about finished with the call when my phone is grabbed out of my hands.

kara screams in my face, then throws my phone at the wall. it shatters into a bunch of pieces. 

"you idiot!" she pushes me, making me stumble back against the sink. ethan's crying, trying to control his shaking as he keeps giving luna CPR.

i know i need to take over for him. he looks exhausted, and i was certified to give CPR from lifeguarding over the summer.

"kara, move out of the fucking way," i push her aside and kneel next to ethan. i place a hand on his back, talking softly. "ethan, let me. i got it."

he glances at me, never stopping his compressions. i cover his hands with mine, giving him a reassuring nod.

he finally lets go, and i take over. i place two fingers on her chest and start compressions. ethan wipes his eyes, then places a hand on luna's head, caressing her hair. 

kara storms out of the room, slamming the door behind her. ethan never leaves luna's side.

after about two minutes, i can hear luna gasping. she coughs up water, her skin returning to a pinkish color. ethan kisses her forehead, relief running through him. i lift her up and pat her back softly so she doesn't choke on the water.

ethan keeps kissing her head and cheeks, happy she's okay. i grab his hand, interlocking our fingers and smiling at him.

i hear the sirens outside of the building and ethan runs out to open the door. a paramedic walks into the bathroom.

i pick up luna, who's awake but crying now, and walk over to the paramedic. ethan and i explain everything that happened.

the paramedic nods. "alright, we'll still take her to the hospital just to make sure she didn't sustain any other injuries."