forty-three

RYLIN'S POV

i wake up with luna still laying on my stomach and ethan cuddling into my side. i guess we fell asleep talking.

i shake his arm, trying to wake him up. "ethan," i whisper.

he groans, flipping onto his back. "what?" he mutters.

"take luna so i can get up."

he squints at me. "but she's going to wake up."

"then do it carefully."

he rubs his eyes and then leans over me, grabbing luna gently. she moves around a little but eventually snuggles into ethan's chest.

i get up from the bed and pull on some of ethan's sweats sitting across the room. then i tie my hair up into a messy bun and walk to the door.

"where are you going?" he whispers to me.

"i need to do something. be right back."

being as quiet as possible, i open the door and then leave and close it behind me. i go down the hall to grayson's room.

"amy?" i whisper, going over to the bed. they're both still asleep. i call her name louder, pulling her ankle.

she jumps, gasping loudly. "what the fuck, rylin?" she whisper-shouts at me, rubbing her eyes.

"sorry."

grayson wakes up then, groaning into the pillow.

i grab amy's hand and pull her into the hallway. "i need a favor."

she squints at me. "what?"

"can you watch luna today?"

she raises an eyebrow. "why?"

"really, amy? can you just say yes?"

she laughs, making me feel even more embarrassed about this. "of course i will."

i thank her and then start walking down the hall. before i get to ethan's room, she calls out, "make sure you use protection!"

i stop, turning around and glaring at her. she wiggles her eyebrows at me and then runs back into grayson's room.

lisa and sean are sleeping literally right across from grayson's room.

i go back into ethan's room and find him changing luna's diaper.

"she didn't go back to sleep?" i ask him.

he shakes his head. "nope. so might as well change her diaper."

when he finishes, he puts her into a pink onesie and then ties her curly hair into a little bun on top of her head.

"so amy said she could watch luna today," i say, walking over and playing with luna's fingers.

ethan furrows his eyebrows at me. "is that what you had to go do?"

i nod. i had to catch amy before she could make any plans today. plus, she's been wanting to spend time with luna.

"but we don't need a babysitter."

i give him a look, biting my lip. he finally gets it and his eyes widen. "oh."

luna's looking between us, smiling and confused as to what's happening. ethan attacks her, laying her on the bed and blowing raspberries on her stomach. she keeps giggling uncontrollably while he tickles her.

eventually he stops, picking her up like she weighs nothing. in ethan's arms, luna looks tiny.

"okay, then. you're going to spend the day with aunt amy and uncle gray, okay, luna?" he tells her in a soft voice. she places her small hands on his cheeks, squishing them and making him laugh.