twenty-eight

i can feel my heart beating quicker as kyle pulls me into an empty janitor's closet and locks the door.

i stand in the corner, watching him as he walks over to me. i'm sure he can sense my fear of him.

"kyle, we shouldn't be talking." i cross my arms, avoiding his eyes.

"please, just let me exp-"

"ethan is waiting for me." he's probably wondering where i am right now.

"rylin, i just really need to explain." he scratches the back of his neck. "actually, i really need to apologize."

i just nod.

"i've regretted that night that i hit you since it happened. i feel so guilty for the way i just left you in that room alone."

i can feel the anger filling me from that night. the way he took advantage of me, hurt me, tricked me. i still couldn't trust him.

"ever since matt died, i just haven't been myself. and i took my anger out on you, and for that, i'm so sorry, rylin."

his eyes are soft, and look almost sincere. despite what my mind says, i feel my body sympathizing with him since only us two, and now ethan, know what really happened to matt.

we were both so close to him and now have to keep this heart wrenching secret to ourselves. and for kyle, it was like losing his brother.

"i understand. i haven't really been myself, either." i give him a small smile. "but i can't just forgive you yet."

he nods. "i know. and i didn't expect you to coming into this." he takes my hand. "i just don't want you to hate me, ry."

i don't hate him. at least, not anymore. and i did miss him as my friend. we always had such a good time hanging out.

"i don't hate you, kyle," is all i say.

"thanks." i can see the relief wash over him, his stance much lighter.

i feel my phone buzzing in my pocket. "one sec," i tell kyle.

eth ❤️ | 3:56 PM
where r u?

i reply to ethan that i'll be out in a second, then put my phone away. 

"so, we're okay?" he asks.

"we're okay." while i can't fully trust or forgive him, at least we were on okay terms now.

he turns around and unlocks the door, opening it for me. i smile at him and give him a small wave as i walk out of the janitor's closet.

he follows after me and then we part ways. i walk to the door that leads to the parking lot and find ethan leaning on the hood of his car, waiting for me.

"there you are," he says, standing and meeting me halfway. he smiles and kisses me, wrapping an arm around my waist as we walk the rest of the way to his car.

"hey," i say as we get into the car.

"so where were you?" ethan's eyes are locked on mine while he straps on his seatbelt.

i know if i tell him the truth, he's going to get all protective and angry with kyle for coming near me. and i don't want him hurting kyle just for apologizing to me.

"i had to talk to my stats teacher about an extra credit assignment," i tell him. i avoid his eyes, knowing he'll catch my lie if i don't.

he just nods. "why didn't you tell me earlier?"

"it was a spur of the moment decision after school." i give him a small grin while he starts the car.

the drive home is pretty awkward and silent. i don't know if he caught that i was hiding something or maybe he's just tired.