twenty-seven

ETHAN'S POV

kara just stares at me in shock.

"a DNA test?" she asks, her eyes widened in disbelief.

"yes, a DNA test." i cross my arms, looking at her.

"we don't need one, ethan. i promise." she's shaking her head, avoiding eye contact.

"really? because bradley seems to think otherwise."

kara closes her eyes, covering her face with her hands. "i knew he'd break." she sighs deeply.

"as soon as you're able to, we're getting a DNA test." i tell her sternly.

"no, we're not. it's my decision, and if it involves any risk towards the baby, then i say no." now she crosses her arms, glaring at me.

"kara, we need to know whether or not this baby is mine or bradley's."

"no, ethan! the risk of miscarriage is too high. we'll have to wait until he or she is born. but i'm telling you, this baby is yours."

"how can you be so sure?" i ask.

"because bradley didn't... you know, finish." she bites her lip nervously.

"that still doesn't necessarily mean it's mine."

although, i was still worried as hell. that means there's a greater chance he or she is mine compared to bradley.

"kara, i'm going to go." i start walking out.

"wait, ethan! don't leave, please." i look back and see her eyes welling up with tears.

"i'll go get your parents."

"no, i don't want them. i want you." tears were rolling down her cheeks now. 

"kara-"

"ethan, you can't leave a pregnant girl crying like this." she's bawling her eyes out now, motioning me to come back.

i slump my shoulders, sighing heavily. then i turn around and sit in the chair next to her bed.

when i look at her, i see her smiling while wiping the wetness from her cheeks. "thank you."

i just nod. 

we sit in silence for a few minutes until i break it. "does bradley even know he might be a father?"

kara shakes her head. "no, and i'm not telling him since he's not the father."

i rub my face with my hands, feeling myself getting irritated. "but he might be."

she reaches over and grabs my hand, interlocking our fingers. "when are you breaking up with rylin?"

i turn my head to face her, my eyes wide. "i'm not."

"but i'm the mother of your baby, ethan. we're supposed to be together. not you and that slut."

i yank my hand out of her grasp, staring intensely at her. "we will never be together. i'm in love with rylin. i'm never breaking up with her, especially not for you."

"what about for our baby?"

"stop saying that!" i snap at her, shouting. she jumps and i instantly regret it. breathing heavily, i sit down next to her, my voice softer. "i-i'm sorry. i didn't mean to yell at you."

after a few moments, she replies. "it's okay. i know this is stressful on you." she places a hand on my shoulder, trying to comfort me.

"thanks," is all i say.