eight

10:31 PM - friday night

"chug! chug! chug! chug! chug!" the crowd was screaming, rooting for these two guys chugging down beers in the center of the room. 

i was already on my third drink, and decided to stop here. i just wanted to drink enough to get buzzed and let loose a little, which i was.

i put my cup down on the table beside me and continued to watch these two guys. they just about finished their competition. 

looking through the crowd, i saw ethan on the other side of the room. he was standing with kara as they watched the competition, too. once it was over, he took her hand and left the crowd of people. they interlocked fingers.

i don't even know kara and here i was despising her from a distance. i was so pathetic. 

i feel a tap on my shoulder and turn around to be faced with hunter, one of kyle's friends. he was also one of matt's friends back then.

"'sup, avery!" he looked like he had a lot to drink. he was slurring his words all over the place.

"hey hunter." i gave him a small smile, not really sure what else to say. we were never that close. although, he wasn't bad to look at. he was wearing a black snapback, a black t-shirt that strained against his somewhat built arms, and some ripped up jeans. 

but he wasn't as hot as ethan.

"you're looking pretty fine tonight," he said with a smirk. "i've been trying to get up the courage all night to come and talk to you."

i scoffed. "okay, sure."

"no, really." he smiled, showing me his pearly whites. hunter was a catch. there was no way he's been nervous to talk to me.

i just nod my head, looking down to the ground to cover up my slight blush. "do you want to dance?" he finally asks.

i think about it for a second, and realize it might be good to hang out with hunter. hopefully then i won't have to keep seeing or thinking about ethan and kara. plus, he was a decent guy.

"sure." i finally reply. he grins a little and offers me his hand.

"oh, here. don't forget your drink." he winks and gives me my cup before guiding me out to the busy dance floor.

-

11:24 PM - same night

my body felt sticky with sweat as i danced with hunter. he had one hand gripping my waist as i ground my hips on him. 

i had my cup in hand, taking sips here and there. i was getting pretty tired from all the dancing.

that's when i feel hunter's body come closer to mine. he pressed our chests together and i looked up at him, making eye contact. i saw him leaning in, and before i could process what was happening, i felt his lips on mine.

i felt no sparks. no passion, no heat. but i kissed back anyway.

his hand moved to cup the back of my head, getting lost in my hair. i wrap one hand around the back of his neck, pulling him closer to me.

by now, i was feeling very lightheaded and dizzy.

his kisses move from my lips down to my jawline and then to my neck. i close my eyes, and find myself wishing these were ethan's lips touching me.