Conniving Dopplebitch (12)

England in the 1500s was one of my least favorite time periods.

The clothes were uncomfortable, and it was a stressful time period for me, in a number of ways.

This was particularly true tonight.

"Katerina!" I shook her sleeping form, after running into her room in the Mikaelson's estate.

"Adalyn? What is the meaning of this?" She bolted up from her sleep.

"You have to leave this place," I whispered harshly, "come quickly."

"No!" she responded quickly, "you are just unhappy that Lord Niklaus prefers me. I will not allow you to scare me off."

I could have scoffed. Prefers her blood, maybe.

"Katerina, are we not friends? How could you think such things? If it is proof you desire.. follow me."

We then listened in the hallway as Niklaus spoke of his sacrifice of Katerina, before I took her to Rosemarie.

I took a deep breath after my task was complete.

Then I ran back to the estate and sat on the front steps.. waiting.

When my throat is gripped and I'm forced into the stones below me, I smile, "you found out."

I choke out my words, and his eyes blaze in response to them, "what have you done?"

He screams his words into my face, and I feel the sheer power in them.

I laugh with what little air I have left in my lungs, practically wheezing out my next words, "you will not break your curse, Niklaus. And eventually.. I'm going to be the one that kills you."

He screams in rage and brings his face closer to mine, "I would not be too sure of that, seeing as you are about to be quite dead."

I smile once again, knowing it must be bloody and discomforting to look at, "No, I will not be. I have watched you kill for far too long, not wanting to raise my hand against you. I am left with no choice, but consider this my mercy.. a postponement. Do you want to know why you are not going to kill me, Niklaus? Because you are not going to remember this moment. Because you are not going to remember me."

And then, I disappeared into the night as his angry shouts pierced the air.

~~~

I smile softly at Elena, who had just asked me who I was, "Adalyn, but you call me Adie."

Her eyes bug out, "You aren't my sister."

"No, I'm not."

"Why do I have memories of you? Growing up?" she wrapped her arms around herself, a common habit of hers when she felt scared or overwhelmed.

I sigh, "Because I compelled you to have them. I can take them away, if you want. But everything after your parents' death is very real. I had my witch - Grams - do the spell to take away my own memories. When she died, the spell broke. I wasn't counting on that to happen."

"Grams didn't like vampires. Why would she do that?"

"Witches don't dislike me like they do other vampires," I smirked.

"Why did you insert yourself into my life?" she asked, toying the line between accusational and simply confused.

"Because, Elena, you're the doppleganger. You're supernatural. And apparently the Salvatores are drawn to dopplegangers.. getting twisted into the lives of you and Katherine."