Are You Volunteering to Recieve My Foot Up Your Ass? (22)

Confusion hit me before anything else.

Then the pain - my whole body hurt. I guess that was to be expected, this being Hell and all.

Groaning, I blink awake.

That was my first mistake.

Niklaus was on the ground five feet from me, butt ass naked.

"If I had known we'd end up in Hell together," I said blandly, noticing he was awake and stirring, "I wouldn't have killed us."

"And the sacrificial lamb awakens," he announced, "if you're so sure this is Hell, love, may I ask why you're staring?"

I respond with a swift yet effective eye roll.

Laughing in what may or may not be a semi-crazy way, I train my eyes on his, "we're dead, and this is my torture. I should have expected it."

"You killed the biggest, baddest monster of all. One might think you'd get a better afterlife," he responded, dimples pronounced and eyebrows raised as he pulls himself into a sitting position.

"Well - you're here, shooting that theory out the window. Unless you're just a figment of my imagination. That sounds like just the right amount of crazy - my guilt manifesting."

"Guilt, love?"

Clothes are tossed at Niklaus's feet, as Elijah appears.

I groan, "I'm going to have to see all of you, aren't I?"

Elijah straightens his tie, "pardon, Adalyn?"

"Adalyn has concluded that she's dead, and that we're her manifested guilt," Klaus grins, speaking as he pulls on his clothes, "it's quite entertaining, really."

"Adalyn, you aren't-"

"Am I suppose to be confessing all the bad bad things I've done? That might take a while."

"Give it a shot, love. Let's start with your more recent transgressions, shall we?" Niklaus immediately replies.

"Niklaus, this is absurd," Elijah responds, "Adalyn, you aren't dead."

"That's exactly what you would say if I was," I counter, thoughtfully, "false hope to make it worse when I realize I've been dead the whole time. And you would definitely say Niklaus is absurd."

"Perhaps you're guilty because you plotted to kill an old flame?" Niklaus suggests.

"Perhaps he tried to kill me first," I grumble.

"Adalyn, you are not dead," Elijah announces again, tossing a blood bag at my feet.

Hunger hits me, along with a pit in my stomach, and I look up at him, "I have to be dead."

"May I ask why you're so convinced that you had it in you to kill me?" Niklaus asks, eyes boring into mine.

I falter in a response before letting out a small, frustrated huff, and Elijah changes the subject, "why, exactly, must you be dead?"

"Because if I'm not dead, I failed," I explain in duh tone, bored of my current situation, "Damon is probably dead, and I remain incapable of ending my own miserable existence because I'm apparently just that selfish."

Elijah speaks up, "There's no dignity in dying, Adalyn."

Then, it really hit me.

I did hesitate.

I ruined everything.

I ruined everything because I couldn't just let myself die.

"I'm not dead," I said blandly.