[ sixteen ]

***

They arrive at the beach and get out of the car. It was an hour before sunset so it was the perfect time. Sean sets a blanket down on the edge of the sand where the water barely touched and they both sat on top of the squishy sand.

"You know, I've been here for about two weeks and this is my first time at the beach." Kailani said, staring off into the ocean.

"Really?" Sean asked. "That's a crime. California has the best beaches."

She laughs. "I can definitely see that I've been missing out."

He glances over at Kailani and couldn't help but stare at her. He found her so damn beautiful and just looking at her in this scenery was driving him insane to a point where he just wanted to grab her face and kiss her.

She turns her face and catches him staring, which causes him to quickly look away. "What are you staring at?" she giggles.

"You.." he replied cheekily, turning his head to look at her once again.

She blushed. "Stop.. Don't look at me like that."

"Like what?" he asked innocently, nudging her side teasingly.

She sighed and smiled to herself. "Like.. all cute and stuff. Your dimples literally kill me every time you smile."

He smiled even wider. "Are you calling me cute..?"

She rolls her eyes and laughs. "I'm calling your dimples cute, not you."

"But my dimples are attached to me, ya know?" he laughs.

"Yeah, but I didn't mean—" she begins.

"It's fine, you don't have to say anything.." Sean cuts her off, chuckling. "I think you're pretty cute too." he winked.

She pushed his shoulder playfully. "Stop.."

There's a small silence between the two as they shift their attention to the waves that have been crashing onto the shore, moving so far as to almost touching their feet in the sand.

"You know.. I've been thinking a lot about what happened last week." Kailani said slowly, biting her lip.

Sean gives her a shocked look, not expecting those words to come out of her mouth. "Glad to know I'm not the only one.." he said honestly. He noticed their hands were a couple centimeters away from each other and took the initiative to move his closer to hers to a point where their skin brushed against one another.

She felt the contact and looked down at their hands, but didn't move away. She instead moved her pinky on her left hand to sit on top of his pinky on his right hand.

"What.. um.. what have you been thinking about?" he asked, trying to hide his smile.

She shrugged. "I don't know.. I just was thinking about how I felt about it.."

"Which is..?"

Kailani felt her heart pounding. She never intended to be in a situation like this with Sean of all people and now there she was, admitting to him that he had been on her mind.. which he has been, but she was never planning on admitting it. She really liked him and there was no doubt that the two had a connection with one another.

Kailani looked at him and gave him a small smile. "If I'm being honest, I was kinda disappointed that it didn't happen.."

Sean could feel his face light up. "Really?"

"I mean.. I was curious.." she said quickly. "I...I haven't really had my first kiss yet." she admits, looking down.

"Oh.. you haven't?" Sean asks.