[ forty four ]

**hii.. pls read the note at the end:)**

***

Everyone experiences heartbreak differently. Kailani knew that. But this was beyond anything she could have imagined heartbreak to feel like. The fact that it was her first one kept her heart feeling ten times heavier than she expected it to feel.

It hurt... like an absolute bitch.

The morning after that night was a blur. Kailani felt like she was having an out of body experience. She was there, but she also wasn't in a way. It felt like she was watching herself fall apart while feeling it at the same time. She awoke the next morning in pain, with the bruises on her arms and thighs darker than before. She touched her face and almost yelped when she felt how sensitive the area that was hit was. That was all it took for Kailani to break down yet again.

Kaycee immediately awoke, running to her side and tried calming her down. Serris joined her, stroking her hair and holding her close.

No one said anything. Nothing needed to be said. Kailani just needed someone to be there.

But little did she know that the one person that she wished for the most.. was just sitting outside that door, listening to her cries with his heart breaking to every whimper and sob that he heard. Sean wanted so badly to hold her. But he knew he couldn't. And that was his fault.

This was all his fault.

***

After an hour, Kaycee and Serris finally managed to calm Kailani's sobs to shallow breaths. Kailani decided that she was ready to shower, which meant she had to look at the damage that had been done to her body. Kaycee and Serris helped undress her, trying to shield her from as much as they could but it was too late. She could see the bruising from her wrists down to her thighs.

She had never felt so unclean in her entire life.

Kaycee found this part the hardest of everything she has experienced within the last 12 hours. She wished she could take away some of Kailani's pain. It hurt her seeing her like this. She could feel the tears start building in her eyes and Kailani got into the shower. She knew she needed a second to get herself together so she could be as composed as she could be for Kailani.

"Um.. I'm going to go grab her a towel." Kaycee said quietly, keeping her gaze away from Serris' eyes to avoid her having to worry about her too. She quickly stepped out of her the room and into the hall, where she nearly tripped over Sean.

"Oh, fuck." he muttered, quickly scrambling to his feet. "Sorry."

She looked at him and shook her head, maneuvering around him to walk to the linen closet.

Sean sighed, following her. "Please, Kayc.. tell me what happened."

She ignored him and continued to rummage through the closet for a spare towel.

"Kaycee.."

Nothing.

"You know that's where we keep the bedsheets right? The towels are in the closet by my room." he tried again.

She paused and stood up, shutting the door and walking down the hall to the other closet.

He let out a soft groan and continued to follow her. "Kayc, please, I just want to make things right."

She paused as she got to the closet and took a deep breath before opening the door and grabbing a towel off the shelf. She closed the door and continued to walk back to Serris' room.