[ forty ]

***

"BOOM! That's another one." Sean said triumphantly as he landed the ball into the cup. "You boys have no chance. Too much skill over here."

Julian rolled his eyes as he drank from his beer. "Okay, okay, Sean, you're great at everything. We get it."

He smirked as Julian and Noah took their turns when he noticed something that made his stomach drop.

The mere sight of Kenneth dancing with Kailani.

"Sean!" Josh yelled in his ear, breaking him out of his intense stare. "It's our turn."

He shook his head, trying to ignore the anger building up in him.

You said no drama with Ken, Sean, just calm down, he thought to himself as he took his shot.

Missed.

"HA! What happened to all that skill, Mr. Big Shot?" Noah teased Sean as Josh missed his shot as well.

"Funny, Mr. No Balls." Sean shot back, shooting him a fake smile. He couldn't help but glance over at Kailani in the midst of taking his turn.

Missed again.

But he didn't care because he noticed that Kenneth had placed a hand on her waist without Kailani noticing. She was too busy dancing to the fast paced beat of the loud music.

Sean clenched his fist and felt his jaw tighten.

"Sean, are you good?" Josh asked, looking a bit concerned. Sean shook himself from his trance again and looked at his friend.

You're fine, Sean.. don't make a scene, he mentally scolded himself.

"I'm fine." he said, forcing a smile. He drank from his beer as Julian made his shot in to avoid having to answer anymore questions from Josh.

"Alright.." he said, uncertainly. He shot his ball and Sean used that moment to sneak a quick peek again at Kailani.

Oh, hell no.

Now both of Kenneth's hands were on her waist and Sean watched in anger as he spun Kailani around and danced on her from behind, swaying her to the beat slowly yet seductively.

Before she could even react to what Kenneth was doing, Sean stomped over to where they were and pulled his arm away from her waist harshly.

"What the hell?" Kenneth shouted, yanking his arm away from Sean's grip.

"Sean.." Kailani said worriedly, concerned about the furious look in his eyes.

He looked into her eyes, which were somehow telling him to stay calm, but he couldn't. His blood was boiling.

He knew all that talk about not having feelings for Kailani anymore was bullshit.

"Can I talk to you outside?" was the only thing Sean could manage to say in the calmest voice he could find inside himself.

Kenneth looked confused but slowly nodded, beginning to lead them out to the front yard.

Kailani sighed, gripping onto Sean's arm before he could follow him. "Sean, please.."

He shook his head, averting his gaze from her eyes. "Just stay here, okay? I said no drama so I'm going to try to keep to what I said."

She didn't reply, just continued to look at him with a worried look on her face.

"Babe, I'm fine. Just stay here and let me handle this." he said, leaning down and kissing her on the forehead.

Her demeanor changed and she nodded softly, letting go of his arm. He gave her one last look of reassurance before turning around to follow Kenneth. He saw him around the porch area by the bushes, hands stuffed into his pockets.