[ forty one ]

**hey guys! i'm so sorry it's been awhile. this chapter is really short to build up for the next chapter so i apologize it wasn't worth the wait. however, a lot of you guys wanted me to update so i figured that this was better than nothing at all. so enjoy and please read my note at the end of the chapter**

***

Kailani had no idea where she was going. All she knew was that she needed to get as far away as she could from Sean. She walked around aimlessly, not bothering to contact Julian or Kaycee or anyone else to take her home. Not that it would matter since her keys are at Sean's house and no one drove to Kenneth's. Eventually, she ended up at a park not far from his house. She sat on a bench, throwing her bag onto the ground and shoving her face into her hands before breaking down again.

Kailani couldn't describe how she was feeling. She was was so hurt but that word alone wasn't enough to show how hurt she truly was. She felt like her head was about to explode and her chest felt hollow.

Was this how heartbreak is supposed to feel?

Suddenly, she felt someone sit down next to her on the bench. Not wanting to deal with any of her friends, she kept her face in her hands, hoping they'd go away.

"Hey, are you okay?" an unfamiliar voice asked.

Who is that?

She breathed shakily, trying to compose herself before looking up. As she did, Kailani saw it was a dark haired boy around her age with pretty blue eyes. He gave a small smile as Kailani wiped a couple of her tears away.

"Um.. yeah, I'm good." she lied.

He chuckled. "Has anyone ever told you that you're a terrible liar?"

She couldn't help but laugh, nodding her head. "A few people, yeah." she sniffled.

"I'm Nick." he offered, holding out a hand.

"Kailani." she replied, taking it and giving it a quick shake.

He nodded, giving her a smile. "Kailani.. that's pretty."

"Thanks." she grinned.

They began a conversation of small talk and Kailani was enjoying his company, grateful for the distraction from the drama. Just as they got into their favorite Netflix shows,  Kailani suddenly felt him wrap his jacket around her. She looked up at him in surprise.

"Sorry, I noticed you were shaking." he said. "It's a bit cold out here."

Kailani nodded, wrapping the jacket a bit tighter around her shoulders. "Thank you."

"So, Kai, if you don't mind me asking, what is a pretty girl like you doing out here?" he asked, leaning his arms onto his knees and looking over at her.

"Um.. I was at a friend's house just down the street." she replied, nodding her head in the direction of Kenneth's house. She shook her head quickly at the thought and looked at him. "What about you? What are you doing out here?"

He sighed. "I was at a friend's house too. Things got kind of crazy so I left to walk home. My apartment is just over there." he explained, pointing down the street opposite to the park. "But then I saw you and just wanted to make sure you were okay."

Kailani nodded and gave him a small smile. "Thanks, I appreciate it."

"Of course." Nick paused, unsure of whether to ask the next question. "So, can I ask why you left your friend's place?"

"Um.." she hesitated. "I got into a fight with my boyfriend.. or I guess, ex-boyfriend."

It took everything in her not to burst into tears again.

Nick's expression quickly shifted to sympathetic. "I'm sorry about that."

She shrugged and sighed shakily, unsure if her shaky nature was the emotions or the cold. "It's fine. Something to deal with on another day."

He nodded and then reached into his back pocket, revealing silver flask. "Here.. you look like you can use some of this." he said, unscrewing the cap and offering it out to Kailani.

She looked at down at the flask, somewhat tempted to take a drink from it. But she knew better. "Um.. I'm okay, thanks though."

Suddenly, she felt her phone buzzing next to her on the bench. She glanced over at it apprehensively, hoping it wasn't Sean.

And of course, it was.

She tried to ignore the heavy feeling in her chest and picked it up to hit ignore. Then multiple messages from Kaycee, Julian, Kenneth, Lexee, Bailey, Chloe, and Tati popped up.

kayc
Where are you

kayc
Sean told me you left and then he took off without explaining anything

kayc
Are you okay? I'm worried

kayc
Sean isn't answering either, please talk to me

kayc
I can't believe he did this

A tear spilled from Kailani's cheek as she read Kaycee's last message. She couldn't believe it either.

julesss
Kayc told me you left. Where the hell did you go?

julesss
Come on Kai. We're getting worried.

julesss
Just let me know that you're safe.

julesss
I'm gonna fucking kill Sean the second I see him again

Kailani cringed at the thought of that. She couldn't believe she came between Julian and his best friend. He's never going to forgive Sean for this.

Why did this have to happen?

kenneth
I'm sorry you had to find out like this.

lex smith
we love you, kai. please call us back.

bails sokky
KAI! we're about to go on a search party if you don't reply!

bails sokky
i love you, please let us know that you're okay

chlobear
julian's out for blood and we want to make sure you're okay. sean's an idiot.

tati cakes
i'm sorry he did this to you. i'm here for you, kai.

Kailani sighed and felt overwhelmed by her friends' and cousin's concern. She went to reply to Julian and Kaycee's messages when her phone buzzed again with another text message.

sean
please call me. i love you.

Trying to hold back tears yet again, she quickly turned off her phone at the sight of Sean's message. She turned away from Nick, letting a couple tears fall to ease the pain of trying to hold them in.

"Kai? Are you okay?" he asked worriedly.

She quickly wiped her tears and sniffled, turning back around to Nick and giving him a small smile. "On second thought, I think I'll have that drink."

--------

a/n:

OKAY SO PLEASE READ THIS! (kinda contains spoilers)

again, apologies for this short and terrible chapter. but i couldn't jump into things too much before the next chapter. so listen.. next chapter falls under the category of the heavy intense content that i'm covering in this book. there will be a warning but i just wanted to give you guys a heads up.

besides that, THANK YOU for 22k reads. i cry just thinking about it. i appreciate all your comments and votes despite how inconsistent my upload schedule is so thank you for sticking with me. i love you all so much.

and also, our lil bubbs is 17 now and our lil kayc is 16. it makes me emotional wow.

-jasmine