[ thirty ]

***

"Stop changing the movie!" Julian yelled at Kailani as he was play wrestling her for the remote.

"I'll stop changing the movie when you stop having crappy taste in movies!" Kailani countered as she held the remote away from him.

Kailani and Julian haven't spent much time together for what seemed like forever. They were either with their significant other or running on different dance schedules. The only time they really saw each other was when they were both with their friends or taking a class together. Julian missed his favorite cousin, as did Kailani, but was happy that she was doing her own thing and seemed overall really happy. He also trusted Sean with taking care of her when he wasn't around. Whenever she came home from being with Sean, for that brief moment that they saw each other before heading off to bed, Julian noticed how happy she looked. It was the happiest he had ever seen her, even as kids when he would surprise her with her favorite candy.

They had spent all morning together, lazily watching movies on Netflix and drinking coffee while catching each other up on their lives. Kailani felt grateful for being able to come to the States not only to dance but to be able to spend time with Julian as well. After all, they were each other's favorite cousin.

"God, you're so annoying." Kailani muttered as she gave up and let him take the remote.

"And you're a bitch." he retorted.

She scoffed as she stared at him. Within two seconds, they both burst out into laughter. By this time, it was like they were more than just cousins but brother and sister.

"So.. how are things with you and Sean?" he asked as he took a sip of his coffee and began to put on another movie.

She smiled to herself, trying to hide it by taking a sip from her mug. "They're good. He.. um.. he told me he loves me."

Julian's eyes widened. "Are you serious?"

She nodded, still finding it hard to believe herself. "Yeah.. We were at his house, playing around in the pool and he just.. said it."

"Did you say it back?"

"Yeah.. I know it's soon but it felt right. And.. I couldn't really see myself saying it to anyone else." she said, smiling to herself once again. "Okay, now can we change the subject? This is more like a conversation I'd be having with Kaycee and the girls, not my protective cousin and Sean's best friend."

He laughed. "Well, I'm just happy you're happy. Even if it's with my best friend."

Kailani smiled, reaching over to give him a hug and then moving back to her spot on the couch. "How are you and Chloe?"

Julian's body suddenly tensed up as he looked away from her. "Um.. we kind of had an argument."

"What about?" Kailani asked, concerned at how distraught he suddenly looked.

"This thing she used to have with Josh Beauchamp before we started dating.. I guess I got a bit jealous when I saw they were friends again. She told me nothing was going on but I don't know.. Josh has it out for me so I don't trust him." he explained.

She sighed. "Julian, you have to trust her though.. even if Josh does pull something, you gotta trust that Chloe would stop it then and there."

"I know that.. but I don't know, I just overreacted. She makes me so happy and I'm terrified to lose her." he said, looking away from her once again as an attempt to hide his sadness.

"Jules, don't stress out over it. I know Chloe is head over heels in love with you. She wouldn't do anything. But don't lose her over something this dumb. You guys getting together is the best thing that has happened to the both of you."