[ twenty five ]

***

"So.. do you miss the Philippines?" Kenneth asked Kailani as they walked along the beach shore.

Kailani nodded. "Yeah.. I miss my family and everything too. But I love it here. I get to do what I love and be with some amazing people."

He smiles. "I'm glad you like it here so far.. If I could, I wish I could go back to Philippines for a little." he admits. "It's been awhile and it'd be nice to get away from the chaos that is LA."

"Chaos, huh?"

"Beautiful chaos would describe it better." he replies.

She giggles. "You know, if I'm being honest, you caught my eye at first because you're Filipino. In a weird way, I felt comforted. Moving here was a big decision so sometimes it's nice seeing someone who understands our culture." she paused, gently biting down on her lip. "Plus, I thought you were really cute."

Kenneth's face perked up. "Oh, really?"

"Yeah.. But then Sean came along and stole the show." she laughed, reminiscing on the memory of seeing Sean for the first time.

He laughed quietly and then his smile slowly faded. "Yeah.. He always does.."

Something in his tone changed, like a twinge of resentment. Kailani was curious but decided not to prod. There was a short silence as the two kept walking along the shore. Suddenly, she noticed something in the distance.

"Look! It's an amusement park!" she pointed.

Kenneth looked in her direction. "Yeah, that's Santa Monica Pier.. You haven't been yet?"

She shakes her head. "No.. Julian only took me around the North Hollywood side of LA." she sighed and looked back at the pier. "Oh, can we please go?? It looks so fun!"

Kenneth chuckled at her excitement. "Yeah, let's do it."

She squealed. "Yay! Thank you!" she giggled while hugging him and pulling away.

He smiled as he watched her eagerly pull him towards the pier.

She's so cute, he thought.

****

Kailani was having the time of her life. After riding every possible rollercoaster in the park, her head was buried in the bundle of cotton candy that Kenneth had bought her.

"Ugh, this is so good." she giggled.

He laughed. "You're like a five year old."

She pouts and crosses her arms. "I am not." she retorted. "You're no fun, San Jose."

"I am too!" he said, defensively.

She smirks and pulls off a piece of cotton candy, stuffing it in his mouth. "There.. maybe you just needed some sweet in your life."

He rolls his eyes and let the pink fluff dissolve in his mouth. Suddenly, his phone began to ring. He checked the caller ID and then signaled to Kailani that he'd be back.

"Hello?"

"Dude.. I gotta talk to you." Sean's voice boomed through the phone. He sounded frustrated.

"Uh.. yeah, bro, what's up?" Kenneth asked, looking over at Kailani, who was finishing up her cotton candy.

"Did you see Kailani earlier at the Grove?" he asked.

"Yeah, why?" he replied, deciding not to mention the mere fact that he was with her at that very moment.

"Did she say anything about where she was going? I've been trying to get ahold of her for the past two hours but she won't—"