[ thirty two ]

**pleaseee read the note at the end and i apologize for turning this story into high school musical for a hot second lol**

***

It had been a couple days since Sean received that phone call and since then, he's been up tossing and turning nearly every night trying to figure out how to tell his girlfriend the news. He knew Kailani would be supportive no matter what, but being his usual stubborn self, he didn't want to go through a competition knowing he wasn't calling the shots and getting to decide what he wanted to do. He wanted to experience this amazing opportunity with her. He knew Kailani made him a better dancer and pushed him past the boundaries he didn't even realize he had until he met her. He fell back in love with dance because of her and had no doubt that because of the way they challenged each other, they would kill it on the show. But at that moment, he had no control over that. And it wasn't like being partnered with Kaycee was a terrible thing because it definitely wasn't.. in fact, it would be amazing getting to experience something like that with his best friend, but it was just something he hated because it was chosen for him, not by him.

Sean eventually decided to tell Kailani despite how much he wanted to forget about the whole thing. But it suddenly became aware to him of how selfish he was being by holding Kaycee back from this opportunity because he was too stubborn. He knew he couldn't take this away from her. Kaycee didn't deserve it. He also knew he had to be honest with Kailani, knowing Kaycee would end up telling her eventually. That day, Sean and Kailani had just finished imma rehearsals and were relaxing on his bed, cuddling of course. Even though he didn't want to ruin the peaceful vibes, he knew it was the perfect time to do it.

"World of Dance?!" Kailani nearly screamed in excitement as she looked up at him. "Are you serious?!"

Sean nodded, giving her a half-smile as he cuddled her closer to him.

"Sean, that's amazing! Why aren't you more excited?! You're going to be freaking TV!" she shouted, jumping up from their lying down position on his bed and sitting on her knees, facing him.

"I am excited.. It's just that.. I don't know. I don't think I'm going to do it." he said, avoiding her eyes.

Kailani looked at him as if he had gone crazy, which she was actually considering. "Are you insane?!"

He didn't respond.

"Sean, please tell me you're kidding." she said, trying to get an explanation out of him.

No response once again.

She sighed, crawling up to him and burying her head in the crook of his neck. "Come on, babe, talk to me."

He shut his eyes as he felt her nuzzle at his neck and then sighed. "They want me to compete as a duo.. with Kaycee."

At first, Kailani didn't say anything and kept her face close to Sean's neck.

"I wanted to do it with you.. but since Kaycee has more of an online presence, they believe that she will attract more viewers. It's not fair. I think I'm going to back out and tell them to keep Kaycee.. She deserves this. I can compete another time.." he continued.

After hearing this, she finally looked up at him with a look of disapproval.

"Sean Lew, do not tell me you want to back out of this because of me." she said sternly.

"I know how it sounds, but—"

He was cut off as Kailani quickly pressed her lips to his before he could say another word.

She pulled away slowly and gave him a small smile. "Sean, I love you, but you are an absolute idiot."

He chuckled, placing a chaste kiss on her cheek. "But really, I don't want to do it unless it's with you."