Potions Class

The three of them entered the potions classroom, surveying the room. Sirius and Peter grabbed an empty table while Abigail walked over to Lily with a kind smile on her face. "Hey, Lils." She said softly, putting her bag down and sitting in the chair.

"Hey, Abby! Listen, I never really got the chance to thank you." Abigail was momentarily confused, but then remembered what had happened yesterday. Some Slytherin second year had called her a mudblood, and Abigail had hexed the shit out of him until he finally said he was sorry. Miraculously, she wasn't caught. It was actually quite the feat.

"Oh, it was no problem, really. But, if anyone else thinks they can push you around, you come to me, alright? I will gladly hex anyone who dares to disrespect my friends." Abigail said with a lopsided grin. The two chatted about a few different things - Christmas break, which was coming up, the Hogsmeade trip two days before the break, and a big test that was next week - until James came in and walked over to join Sirius and Peter.

"Hello, Lily, Abby," Severus said from behind them, giving the two a nod before sitting down beside Lily. A few more students filed in before Professor Slughorn finally started the lesson. Apparently, they were making Amortentia, a highly potent love potion that would smell like whatever, or whoever, you liked.

It was a pretty simple potion, it just needed crushed Ashwinder eggshells, rose thorns, peppermint, powdered moonstone, and pearl dust. As usual, the ingredients were set out before them, and all that they needed to do was measure them. The three each had their own cauldron, so as Professor Slughorn told everyone to get started on the potion, Abigail flipped open her potions book, running her finger over the ingredient measurements before getting started.

First off, she took a few pieces of the eggshells and weighed them in her hand before nodding and dropping them into the mortar and pestle. She tapped the pestle with her wand, watching as it floated over the mortar and began crushing the eggshells before she turned back to the book. Next, she slipped one of the roses out of the small bouquet tied together with twine and placed it on the desk before her, taking a gold and emerald butterfly knife from inside her robes and expertly twirling it around between her fingers.

"Where'd you learn to do that?" Lily asked, raising an eyebrow at her as Abigail started cutting the thorns off of the stem.

"I grew up around weapons. This is nothing." She dropped the thorns into the mortar, grinding them up along with the eggshells. "You should see me with a double bladed sword..." She muttered, looking into the mortar to assess the powderiness of the thorns and shells before pouring it into the cauldron. Waving her wand over it, it filled with water and a flame burst to life underneath it.

"You actually have a sword?"

"I have a whole arsenal. There's like sixty different types of swords, and that's not even counting the hundreds of throwing knives and battle-axes." The liquid in the cauldron started bubbling as it turned a silvery sky blue color. That's how she knew that it was ready to sprinkle in a pinch of powdered moonstone from a small vial into it. The mixture started to take on a bright pink color as she took a few pearls from a small bowl and dropped them, along with three peppermint leaves before grinding them up again with the pestle.

"Who are your parents? Are they, like, advanced Aurors or something?" Severus asked, raising an eyebrow at her.

"Or something..." She responded, pressing her lips into a thin line as she poured the peppermint and pearl dust into the cauldron. It turned a bright shade of red with silvery pink accenting the potion. "Professor Slughorn? I finished." Abigail announced, raising a hand with a proud smile.

"Oh, excellent!" He walked over to her, looking down at the potion before taking a whiff of it. "Ah, perfect! Write down what you smell, and discuss with your group what you think it means!" He said with a smile before walking away to help another student.