Duels

The month of May was very exciting, to say the least. Layla was revealed to be a Death Eater - a surprise to no one - and dropped out of school along with Bellatrix and Lucius, who were also probably Death Eaters. Regulus dropped out soon after. Sirius didn't seem to be all that worried about his brother - just simply disappointed that he was going to get himself killed for a bad cause.

James and Lily were getting closer, and Abigail would often see him holding a silver ring in his hand with a medium sized diamond on top in the middle of a silver flower. She eventually had a talk with him about it.

"Hey, Abby?" Abigail turned around at the sound of James' voice, surprised to see him away from Lily and the other Marauders. It was the end of Transfiguration class, and she could see the other Marauders leaving the room. "Can I talk to you for a minute?"

"Yeah, sure. What's up?" She asked, putting her textbook into her bag before slinging it over her shoulder and walking out with James at her side. It was the end of the day, and most of the students were rushing to get down to the Quidditch pitch where there would be a dueling demonstration. She had entered, of course, and apparently, she would be going up against a Slytherin guy named Garrick Joyce. He was notoriously evil, but no one knew if he was a Death Eater or not, so it wouldn't be a surprise. Anyway.

"I...uhm..." James dug around in his pocket, finally pulling out the familiar ring that she had seen him staring at when he thought no one was looking. "I don't know what to do."

She merely smiled up at him and closed his hand over the ring, motioning for him to put it back in his pocket in case he dropped it. His hands were shaking. "Lily will love it no matter how you do it. She'd be stupid to refuse you." He seemed reassured by that, but his fingers were still nervously twitching. "Where did you two first kiss?"

"Oh, uhm...in the courtyard at exactly midnight." He smiled fondly at the memory, his nerves calming a bit.

"Then propose to her there, at exactly midnight. Of course, if there's a more opportunistic chance, then take it."

"But what if she says no?"

"She won't say no, trust me. She gushes about how amazing you are every night to me before we go to sleep. It's obnoxious, actually. Just invite me to the wedding, alright?" She nudged his side playfully, watching as he grinned and nodded enthusiastically.

"You invite me to you and Sirius' wedding, and I think we got a deal." He said with a smirk. Abigail blushed, giggling quietly before nodding in agreement. They chatted about random things on the way to the Quidditch pitch - spells they were going to use, Quidditch, families, stuff like that - but when they finally got there, they were surprised to see the whole stadium was filled with cheering students. The first duel had already begun, a group of twenty students waiting to be called out for their duels. There was a sheet of parchment that held the names of each student that was to face another in a fight, and she found that her name was last, right under James'. He was going up against a Ravenclaw named Lillian Forester. She was also known to be pretty good.

Her eyes skimmed over the list, surprised to see Remus and Sirius' names on there as well. She finally spotted the name 'Layla Hollin' in the middle of the sheet, up against a Hufflepuff. She momentarily felt bad for the poor Hufflepuff that would be up against her, but as soon as she read the name 'Jake Nordoc', she instantly knew Lay would be beaten. Jake was awesome at DADA and knew just about every Charm, even some that came from the Restricted section as well. She may or may not have helped him with that, but no one will ever know.

Abigail, James, Sirius, and Remus eventually met up, joking together as they talked about what hexes and spells they were going to use. Abigail was getting prepared for Dark magic, though, as she was the only one that was going up against a Slytherin. Remus was going to duel Wallace Sanor - a Gryffindor - and Sirius was going to fight Michael Lanier - a Ravenclaw.

James ended up winning his duel no sweat, Remus had to work a bit harder but still beat his opponent, and Sirius almost lost because the Ravenclaw had rapid-fired six spells almost instantly, but luckily he remembered a repelling spell that Abigail had taught him and won immediately. When her fight came up, she was 100% ready.

"Abigail Lorian and Garrick Joyce are up! Get out here and get ready." The commentator said, her voice magnified by her wand. Sirius quickly kissed her on the lips, James and Remus patting her on the back as she took her wand out of her boot. She caught Garrick's eye and smirked at him, her eyes sparkling with mischief as she walked out onto the grass field with her robe billowing out around her legs. Garrick caught up, standing in front of her before they each turned and took ten steps away from the other. Finally facing each other, they got into a battle-ready position.

"Alright! Get ready, take aim," she breathed in, her eyes briefly flashing bright green, "fire!"

"Stupify!" Garrick shouted, the familiar red streak shooting out of his wand, but it never met her body.

"Shiendo!" A bright green oval appeared in front of her, the crowd ooed at the new magic and cheered as she shouted, "Shiendo protegat!" before the oval flew across the field and almost knocked the Slytherin over. Unfortunately, he stayed standing.

"Flipendo!" She blocked it with a flick of her wrist.

"Amnis ignis!" A cloud of flames shot out of the tip of her wand, grey smoke blooming into the sky as the flames almost engulfed the boy. He pulled his arm back, however, the flames funneling into his wand as he shouted, "Devorat!" Ah, the Dark Arts. Nice. He threw his arm forward, the flames ejecting out of his wand and towards her.

"Amnis aqua!" Water flew out of her wand, immediately putting out the fire as she glared daggers at Garrick. This was exciting! The crowd was cheering wildly, and she could hear Sirius giving her encouraging thoughts in her head, the eyes of the black wolf earrings glowing brightly from use.

"Si vocare dementor!" That was a new one for her! A large black, cloaked figure burst out of the end of his wand, it's glowing silver eyes locking onto her as the whole crowd immediately silenced out of shock. This was awesome! She grinned, pointing her wand at the quickly approaching Dementor.

"EXPECTO PATRONUM!" She thought back to her and Sirius' first kiss, and a few seconds later, a full, bright blue and corporeal Patronus burst out of her wand. It formed into a huge dragon with six feathered wings, it's mouth opening as it flew towards the Dementor. The Patronus gave a deafening roar, the Dementor letting a banshee-like screech escape its mouth as it was practically blown away to dust. She couldn't be happier at the moment, and that was definitely reflected in how the creature was destroyed. The dragon landed on the ground, fanning out its wings in a menacing way as it roared at Garrick, the Patronus towering over the Slytherin. She yelled, "Stupify!" and a moment later, Garrick fell to the ground unconscious.

The crowd was silent as she breathed heavily, adrenaline rushing through her veins as she waited for what seemed like years before the crowd broke out in cheers, the volume of the crowd making her ears ring.

"And what an interesting finale duel for the day! Some very interesting battle magic was displayed by all our competitors..." She kind of stopped listening to the announcer, as Garrick was helped up and brought to his Slytherin friends. She furrowed her brow as she saw them huddled up in a circle and periodically glance over at her. Abigail shook her head,  smirking at them and giving them a playful salute before walking over to Sirius - who immediately pulled her into a huge hug.