The Night Everything Changed

October 31, 1981. Hallowe'en

After Lily and James had found out that their child, Harry Potter, was a part of some big prophecy to take down the Dark Lord, Dumbledore ordered that they go into hiding with Abigail as their guard. As an Archangel and God, she was more than qualified for the task. She spent almost every waking hour at the Potter's' house in Godric's Hollow, walking up and down the streets while scanning the surrounding forest and houses. Lily and James were always grateful for her protection, and she was happy to give it to two of her best friends.

She had completed her walk around the small town, finally ending up in front of James' house. Abby was about to start the next circle around the town when Lily suddenly opened the front door and walked outside to her. The woman was wearing her pajamas, James' jacket wrapped around her shoulders and just socks on her feet. 

"Lils, you should stay inside at night," Abigail told the redhead with a small smile.

"Abby, you should go home. Spend some time with your husband. He's worried about you."

"I'm required to look after you, mate," Abby replied, shoving her hands into her jeans pockets. A black cloak surrounded her body, and it was slightly blowing in the breeze.

"Go home, Abigail. We'll be fine here." The angel hesitated, glancing around one last time before nodding reluctantly.

"Thanks, Lils." Abigail grinned, blinking out of existence with the flurry of invisible wing beats and a cloud of green light. 

It wasn't even five minutes later that she felt a sudden power surge at James' house, prompting her to zap herself right back without even saying goodbye to Sirius. She got there just in time to hear the thump of a body hitting the ground, followed by a jet of green light from the second floor. She blew down the door, her eyes blazing gold as she surveyed the first floor. There, lying on the floor, was James. His eyes were wide open with fear, and his mouth was still partially open in a scream. She ran to his side, kneeling down and leaning him up against the wall. She would have to come back to him, as she suddenly heard a window crashing from upstairs.

"Lily?! Lily are you alright?!" She screamed, sprinting up the stairs and stumbling into the baby's room. Her breathing hitched as she saw Lily's lifeless body on the ground, tears covering her cheeks. She didn't want to look at Harry, who was still in the small crib behind her, in fear that he was dead as well...but when she heard the soft cry coming from him, Abigail rushed over to pick the child up. He was still wrapped in the white blanket, but...there was something different about him.

There, on his forehead, was a lightning bolt scar - still glowing from...what looked like magic injection. Abigail peered out of the broken window, trying to see anyone who might've seen, but the streets were empty. She whipped around when she heard steps coming up the stairs, and was surprised to see Severus. He nearly fell to the ground when he saw Lily's body, but nonetheless stumbled inside and knelt down beside the girl.

"S-Severus...How did y-you know where they lived?" Abigail asked quietly, golden light spiraling around her hand as a sword formed in her grasp. She pointed it at Severus, one hand still clutching Harry to her chest.

"It...It was that rat..." That was all he needed to say. She had mistrusted Peter for a long time, but this just confirmed her suspicions.

Sirius, James' house. Now. They're dead. Her earrings glowed as the sword disappeared. "Go. Get out of here, now." She hissed, glaring daggers at the Slytherin. He nodded, giving one last longing look at Lily before he disappeared with a loud CRACK. She knelt down next to Lily, a blue glowing rectangle with all of the information of her death displayed in bright cyan letters. The angel that was meant to collect her soul was Anael, but Abigail quickly changed that to display her own name in glowing green letters. Tears formed in her neon green eyes as she walked down the stairs, doing the same to James' panel before she looked to the door at the sound of a CRACK.

Sirius barged in, his eyes widening immediately once he saw James' body. The tall man ran over to his best friend, falling to his knees as tears formed in his eyes. "H-how...How did t-they know?" He croaked, looking up at Abigail through watery eyes.

"It was...It was Peter. He's working with the Dark Lord..." Sirius nodded, his eyes darkening slightly. She knew that look. That was the look Sirius gave whenever he was about to take a Death Eater's life for almost hurting one of his friends. "Sirius, do not go after him, alright? Get Dumbledore, have him take Harry to a safe place. He's been hit with the killing curse, there's no telling what kind of side effects that might cause. I need...I need to bring James and Lily up to Heaven." She said the last part quietly, carefully handing Harry to Sirius before taking a step back.

Six wings unfurled from her back, a golden glowing ring forming around her head before she disappeared in a flash of light.

-

Her eyes snapped open, only to see that she was directly in front of James' house. It was dark...no, scratch that, there wasn't a moon or a sun. The sky was just...black. This house was the only one around the area, and as she stepped forwards, the door slowly creaked open.

Abigail took a tentative step inside, looking around before hearing a choked sob coming from upstairs. "Lily?" She cried, running up the stairs and turning into the baby's nursery. Lily was sitting on the floor with tears streaming down her cheeks, and James was holding her against his chest, crying quietly as well. They looked up as she entered, giving her a confused look.

"P-Please don't say t-that you d-died too?" Lily asked quietly, giving Abby a sorrowful look.

"No...I'm here to bring you to Heaven," Abby said softly, kneeling down in front of the two. "Harry is...Harry is fine. Sirius is going to take him to Albus, and they'll get him to a safe location."

"It was Peter, wasn't it?" Lily asked, a hint of anger in her voice.

"Y-yes...yes it was. Listen, I am...so sorry...this was my fault. I should've stayed, followed orders-"

"No, no goodness no, Abby. This wasn't your fault. This was no one's fault besides the Death Eaters." Lily said quietly as James wiped the tears from his wife's cheeks.

"Fine, whatever you say...Let's just...I need to bring you two up to Heaven. You'll love it, trust me." Abby gave a weak smile, standing up before extending her hand. A golden ring formed just above her head, her six wings glowing with golden light as her eyes slowly became solid white. James reached up, hesitantly taking her hand before there was a flash of bright white light.

James stood up, helping Lily up as well before they looked around. The ground looked like it was dirt and grass, but it looked more like a 3D watercolor painting than solid matter. A few yards away, there was a large lake...the lake at Hogwarts. In the distance, they could even see the castle. There was a huge willow tree, it's vines hanging low to the surface of the glassy water.

"Hey, are we..." James stared, trailing off as he looked down at his hands then down at Lily.

"Younger?" Abigail finished, giving the two a small smile. "Yeah. The seventh year, I believe." She took Lily's hand, walking them over to the lake. Abby knelt down, tapping a finger to the water's surface before the whole thing glowed gold. A large oval lifted out of the water, and at first, it seemed like a mirror - simply reflecting the three figures before it. "Welcome to Heaven. You can look down at Harry through this...Actually, I think you can watch anyone you want, just say their name before tapping the mirror."

Lily went first, eagerly whispering 'Harry James Potter' before the mirror's surface fizzled slightly, fading into a dark image of Sirius clutching Harry to his chest with tears streaming down his cheeks. He was with Dumbledore, Hagrid, and McGonagall, and he was handing Harry to them. James sat down, followed by Lily before he put an arm around her.

Abigail smiled, slowly walking back before disappearing in a flash of white light.