Chapter 24- Free At Last

This chapter is dedicated to @kxilyn. It took me a long time because I decided to write a point of view for Denzel. I'm both happy and sad to say that this book is coming to an end. I love all my readers, y'all the reason I didn't give up writing. I appreciate every single read, vote, and comment!!♥♥

*****************************************

*Keyanna*

"Well Denzel, it looks like you're free to go home today," Dr. Thompson, the doctor that performed Denzel's surgery, said after looking over Denzel's chart. He had been in the hospital for 3 days and we had been here most of the time with him. I had finally moved in with August, and I felt so much safer. In my heart, I always knew that's where Kimberly and I should've been, but I couldn't just up and leave. Huey hated me even going places with them, so I know he would've never let me stay with them.

"Ayyee, free at last. Free at last. Thank God Almighty, I am free at last," Denzel exclaimed. He's been ready to leave since the first day he woke up. He had already decided that he was going to break out of the hospital if they didn't let him go today. Kiara had helped him plan ways to get through the air ducts and elevator shafts. August was going to drive the get away car, and I had to create a distraction so none of the nurses would know he was missing until it was too late. I think that was too elaborate for breaking out of a hospital. They had it all planned like we were about to go and rob a big bank.

"I'll send a nurse back in with your discharge papers," Dr. Thompson stated just before walking out the room. We were all ecstatic after hearing the news. I hope that once we get home, things will start to work in our favor. This has been one of the worst summers of my life.

"Ahh, my shoulder hurts," Denzel said after sitting up on the bed and resting a hand on his shoulder. We all just looked at one another. Once every few hours, Denzel would claim that some random body part was hurting. Some of the pain was caused by the bullet, but some of it just came out the blue. At first, I thought he was a hypochondriac, because the simplest thing would be wrong with him, and he would claim that he was dying. Eventually, I realized that he just exaggerats because he's lazy, and he knows we will do anything he needs us to do when he's in pain.

"Kiara will you put on my shoes for me?" Denzel asked. He was already dressed, he refused to put a hospital gown on. He claimed that all the nurses would be too disracted by his body in the little bitty gown. He said he didn't want them to be too focused on him and end up making him overdose on pain killers. They tried to tell him that it was hospital protocol, but he didn't care. Once Denzel's made up his mind, it's almost impossible to change it.

"Denzel, you're like the boy who cried wolf. Imma call you the nigga who cried pain. We don't ever know when you are really hurt," Kiara explained. We had all caught on to his exaggerating the 2nd day he was here.

"So is that a no?" Denzel questioned. He acted as if he saw no wrong in pretending to be hurt in order to get help.

"No, I aint puttin' your shoes on for you," Kiara responded. It would be a different story if Denzel really needed our assistance, we would have no problem helping him.

"Fine, I dont need you anyways, you LINT- LICKER!" Denzel shot back. Kiara started laughing at the fact that he was quoting the old Orbit gum comercial. Denzel could never be serious for more than a few minutes, an hour at the most.

He gave up on his "I'm hurt" act, and effortlessly put on his shoes before standing up from the bed. He stretched and then leaned over to pick up Kimberly. Over the past few days, they have grown even closer than they were before. Denzel has thanked her a countless number of times, but she's still too young to understand the fact that she's the sole reason Denzel is still alive. Only a few moments later, a nurse entered the room with a wheelchair and a few papers.