Chapter 3

My little brother's fist collides with the door for the second time in the last five minutes, except he now he doesn't stop.

"Shawn, I know! Just hang on!"

"I gotta brush my teeth! Do your makeup somewhere else!" He sighs loudly, as if his day is ruined before it's even begun.

I unlock the bathroom door, and Shawn comes barreling in, practically stomping.

"Shawn, let your sister get ready." My mother points a finger at him as she stops outside the bathroom door, still in her robe. My sister Layla is right behind her, sticking her tongue out at our brother.

"Yeah, Shawn." I say once my mother and Layla continue on down the hall.

He mimics me in a high voice, scowling at me in the mirror.

Shawn is thirteen, and now that he's in middle school, he's no longer as sweet as he used to be. I get it though, middle school is rough.

Layla is nine, and everyone says she's just like me when I was her age. A social butterfly, but still quiet.

I finish up my mascara, and let Shawn have the bathroom to himself. I go downstairs to get my backpack and something for breakfast.

My father sits at the table in the dining room, already in his suit and tie.

"Good morning dad."

He doesn't look up from the papers in front of him, even when he speaks. "Good morning sweetheart."

"What'cha working on?" I ask from the kitchen as I put two slices of bread  in the toaster.

My father's lawyer firm is one of the best in the city.

"It's a big case, I just got it yesterday." He calls loud enough for me to hear in his New York accent. It's not as intense as it was when I was little, but it's still there.

He and my mother both met in New York City. As wild as it is, both of their parents came to the U.S. on the same ship just decades before. They couldn't believe how the universe had aligned itself for them to meet in college. My mother says it was the perfect time. She thinks they were star crossed from the second their parents bought their tickets for America.

Just as I'm done spreading strawberry jelly onto my toast, Shawn and Layla come into the kitchen. Immediately, they start to bicker about where the Cocoa Puffs are.

My mom is here too, talking to Dad. He's given up on trying to get work done, and now he drinks his coffee.

Since Mom doesn't work anymore (she used be a paralegal) she's still in her pajamas.

"Chasity, did you get something to eat honey?" She calls as I begin to put my backpack over one shoulder, half a piece of toast still in my hand. If Michelle and I want to get to class with time to spare, we need to go now. I can already see her waiting by the curb from one of the front windows.

"Yes," I wave the toast in my hand. "I've gotta go."

"You know I won't be here later right? I've got to help my sister with the baby shower."

Great. I'm watching Shawn and Layla for who knows how long after school. 

"Okay," I say. Trying to argue it won't get me anywhere. Babysitting really isn't that bad. I'd just rather hang out with Michelle instead. 

Both of my parents tell me to have a good day, and I yell bye to Shawn and Layla right before I walk out the door.

Today is going to be a long day. I can feel it already.