Chapter 6

"Chas! Guess what!"

"What?" I call from my spot on the couch, about to inhale another handful of popcorn.

"The band is coming over and they're bringing pizza-Well actually it's only Duff and Ax and Izzy!"

I nearly choke.

So this is when it happens, huh? Tonight will be the first time I see Axl since yesterday, when I lost my kiss virginity.

Not if I can help it.

"No!"

Slowly, I can see Michelle stick her head through the kitchen doorway, the phone now pressed into her shoulder.

"What? You don't want pizza? Because I do-"

"We look terrible!" I tell her, gesturing towards my pajama pants. They have Christmas trees on them. It's Spring. And not to mention, I've already taken off my mascara and my hair is a mess.

When Michelle said we could stay at her house tonight because her parents are on a business trip, I didn't prepare for any other eyes besides Michelle's. And she doesn't care what I look like. But Axl might. Well, it's more about how I feel in front of him than his opinion of my appearance that matters.

Because without a doubt, he's going to look well, good. And if I'm going to have to talk to him after yesterday, I need all the confidence I can get. And that doesn't come from an old t-shirt with holes in it.

"Who gives a shit?! I'm hungry, and I'm not eating microwave popcorn all night." She hisses at me before bringing the phone up to her ear, and bringing our debate to a close.

I begin to panic internally.

Oh God. He's going to get here, and look nice and I'm going to look like a mess and clam up and make this awkward and then everyone will know what's up.

"-She's just complaining about how we're already in our pajamas."

"Don't tell them!" I groan, wishing I could slap my hand over Michelle's mouth.

I hear her laugh in the kitchen before she tells them to hurry, and then says bye.

When she comes back into the living room and sits down beside me, I ask her how long she thinks it'll be before they get here.

"Michael said an hour."

And what an hour of hell it is.

I try my best to focus on the T.V. where Sixteen Candles is playing, but it's nearly impossible.

I wonder if Axl and I will even talk about it, if we manage to end up alone with no one eavesdropping. Or maybe if I try to bring it up he'll shut me down. I can't decide on what I want to have happen in an ideal situation.

Somehow, I manage to chill out. Everything will be fine.

When my eyes get heavy, I don't fight to stay awake.

***

"Chas. . . You've gotta get up. I saved you pizza."

As soon as I open my eyes, it registers in my brain that the voice waking me up belongs to the man crouching on the floor before the couch. Axl.

"Hi honey."

Axl smiles at me, but it isn't just a quick, small smile. It starts slowly, his eyes crinkling as the grin starts in the center of his lips and spreads outwards.