Chapter 28

"I just can't believe you got a car before I did."

"Don't be jealous, Chas. We both know that if it had been you driving us here, we never would've made it."

I side eye Michelle at the same instant we move up in the line for Hotdog On A Stick, the scent of fried food all around us.

The Sherman Oaks Mall is arguably the best in the entire Los Angeles area. It beats out all the ones in Pasadena, which lack when it comes to variety. But this one has everything-and on days like this, it's packed. I blame Valley Girl, even though it's been four years since it came out. 

When Michelle starts to giggle next to me, her manicured hand coming up to cover her lips, I get even more annoyed.

I woke up to her screaming in the street. Literally. I thought she was being murdered out there as she howled with joy over the used station wagon parked on the curb. There's a few chips in the beige paint, and sometimes the gas light comes on when it doesn't need to. But other than that, Alice deemed it good enough to be Michelle's first car.

Somehow, both our mothers let us take off in it a few hours later, even though we've only got permits that we've had since the first semester of senior year.

"The two of you together equal one full license. You'll be fine."

The freeway was the scariest part. I really thought we were going to die. I had to remind Michelle that when you switch lanes, you're supposed to put your signal on.

"God, I actually can't believe this either, any of it. I've got a car, this is the first time we've ever really gone somewhere alone, and your boyfriend is Axl Rose. If somebody had told me any of this like, a couple months ago, I would've passed out."

Michelle hasn't stopped bringing up Axl. It's a multiple times a day occurrence now, but I can't say that I mind talking about him. I miss him. It's been a few days since we've seen him, and even then, it was just for a few minutes when Duff came by to grab a demo tape left on accident.

When he called this morning, Michelle and I had to fake our reactions to hearing about the upcoming show we're allowed to go to, which happens to fall on the night of my eighteenth birthday. I think Michelle might've overdone it with the screaming, especially after this morning, but Duff believed it nonetheless. We're supposed to be buying outfits for it today, but God knows what will happen.

All I'm sure of is that I miss Axl. He called yesterday and left a voicemail, and I have yet to get back to him. Michelle's been running me ragged since I came into consciousness this morning, there's been no time to sit down alone and give Axl a call back.

I miss him.

"I have a question."

As we move forward in line, our turn to order almost up, Michelle's whole face becomes lit up a rosy red from the neon lights of the signs directly above. They bounce off her blonde, nearly platinum hair. It only accentuates the wicked look in her eyes.

I brace myself.

"Have you guys fucked?"

I manage to choke on my own spit, the air in my throat trapped as I try to simultaneously look around, attempting to make sure no one else heard that.

Based on the busy conversations and loud music around us, I guess not.

"Michelle!"

I can't even begin to yell at her, because the girl behind the counter in her blue, yellow, and red uniform is grinning at us with her braces, and asking what we'll have.