Chapter 23

The first hints of summer are appearing in California.

Michelle and I feel the heat as we step out into the recording studio parking lot, waiting for Duff to pull his car around.

We insisted on just walking to where it's parked a block away, but he refused.

"Just wait for me, girls. No sense in makin' you walk, I'd feel rude."

What a good guy he is.

"Fuck, it's hot!" Michelle groans as she piles her hair onto the top of her head, holding it away from her neck.

"I told you to wear something else."

My skirt was the perfect choice for today, and as soon as I saw Michelle walk out of her house this morning in jeans and a cropped sweater top, I tried to talk some sense into her.

"Yeah, but this is cute," She says as she looks at me. "You look nice, too. Nicer than usual."

It's not for Axl. It really isn't. I didn't wear this skirt today, the white one with the mini roses all over it because I thought he'd like it. I didn't consider if he'd like the taste of my lipgloss when I put it on. I didn't wear a push-up bra instead of my usual unlined ones, hoping he'd stare at me just a little longer.

No way.

"Oh, please." I roll my eyes. "What a nice back-handed compliment."

"Well I'm just saying! Your tits look huge-"

"Michelle!"

"I just don't understand! All we've done today is sit inside a dark recording studio."

"Maybe I just got bored of the same old outfits."

"You tell me."

"What's it to you?"

"I don't know. You tell me, Chas."

It's right now, as she stares me down, that the gears in my brain start to move a million miles a minute.

Could she? No way! Maybe. . .

Michelle might very well be onto me.

Onto Axl and I.

Probably not. The only interaction we've really had today has been about the record. I didn't even give him a hug today. He only called me sweetheart when he first showed up, late. I've been trying not to stare at him. I thought I was doing a pretty good job not drooling over him, as he sang and talked about the songs. Really good, for not having seen him since Monday, when he showed up outside my window completely unexpected.

No. There's no way she knows anything.

"I did tell you, Michelle. Now let me and my tits be!"

"Hey! Do take that as a compliment. So far my birth control has given me nothing, meanwhile you just already have everything."

Frantically, I look around, making sure no one's around to hear her.

"There's no way you just said that right now-"

"Oh, loosen up! I said what I said. If we can talk about it in my room, we can talk about it here. No one's even around! Axl's still finishing up."

"He could walk out any second!"

"Yeah, and so what? I don't care what he thinks. Do you?"

I almost start to nervous sweat at that. "No. Why would I?"