Chapter 11

When I first see the flyers that have been plastered on nearly every surface outside of school, I think it's for a party.

It's only after I have the bright blue paper in my hands that I realize I'm so, so wrong.

WANT TO BE IN A MUSIC VIDEO?

THE ROCK N' ROLL BAND GUNS N' ROSES ARE FILMING THE VIDEO FOR THEIR SOON TO BE HIT "WELCOME TO THE JUNGLE" THIS SATURDAY!

SHOW UP AT TWO O'CLOCK AND GET IN FOR FREE! MAX OCCUPANCY OF 300!

I can't help but scowl at the words on the paper.

Of course they're using us, Michelle and I, as their excuse to promote their band at our high school. Of course!

"Those bastards," Michelle hisses, letting the flyer in her hands fall to the pavement. "A heads up would've been nice."

All around us, people are pocketing the flyers and talking excitedly about it, as if this is the best thing to ever happen.

"My brother saw them live! He said that the lead singer beat up a guy who tried to take his drink!"

"-I've heard about these guys, they're gonna be big."

"-Can't miss it! I'll tell my mom I'm at your house!"

"Isn't this your brother's band?"

A moment passes before Michelle and I realize that a sophomore is talking to her.

"Yeah," She says bitterly.

The boy runs off after that, seemingly scared away by Michelle's intimidating demeanor.

I can't say I blame him.

From where we stand, still perched on the last few steps that lead up to the double doors, we have a good view of half the school's reactions to the Guns N' Roses extra call.

But beyond school property, I can see a car that I know doesn't belong to any student here.

It's too new and expensive and fast. Axl's black Camaro.

My hand finds Michelle's, trying to get her to move at the same pace as me as we march across the grounds to the curb, where cars are driving by and kids are trying to cross.

Through the windshield, I see that the entire band is squeezed into the car.

Duff rolls down the window. "Hey losers!"

"This is gonna cost you!" Michelle holds up one of the crumpled flyers in her hand. "Now all our friends are gonna want to hang out with you instead of us this Saturday."

"That was the plan!" Duff smiles.

As Michelle fires back at him, I realize that Axl's been staring at me from the driver's seat this entire time.