Chapter 31

In the three hours that I've known her, Frances Hall has proven to be somebody I definitely need to be friends with.

"Oh. My. God. Bloody hell." Frances looks faint as she stares at me, dumbfounded. "You're lying."

"No," I shake my head, getting a total kick out of the current situation. "I do know the band. I used to play outside in the summer with Duff when we were little. We're super close. And-and I uhm, I know Axl really well, all the guys, actually. . ."

Frances leans her head back against the building, the same one we were just in for hours. Paul's already taken off, but that was only after we assured him we'd get to where we need to be next just fine. Other girls walk by almost constantly, with how the open casting call is going on all day.

"Woah," Frances breathes, eyes wide. "The whole reason I started following them was because of a stupid boyfriend I got on my first trip here, to L.A. Actually, it was my first trip to America. That was nearly a year and a half ago. But anyway- he took me to a show, and there was maybe thirty other people there, but I was smitten. I really was. They're so talented! People don't normally peg me for the rock n' roll type, but it makes me feel so alive. My mom saw the Stones once, and she said Mick Jagger winked at her. I think that's where I get it from. . ."

I lose my concentration on Frances as I see Duff's van pull up. He's not late-I was early. Fran (as she's allowed me to call her) and I were both done at the same time, nearly half an hour ago.

"You're going to love this." I grin widely at Fran, throwing the strap of my purse over my shoulder. "C'mon."

I grab her hand, pulling her from where she leans against the concrete wall. Both of our heels are loud against the ground, but not louder than Duff's music. Or Frances' panicking. Her quiet shrieks make me laugh to myself.

It's funny, watching Duff watch me march Fran up to the passenger side window. He cocks an eyebrow at me, as if to say "Who's that?"

"Hi Duff! I want you to meet Frances Hall. She's a big fan of the band!"

It's even more funny to watch Duff sit up a little taller, a smirk coming over his lips the second Frances starts to ramble. He's flattered.

"-Absolutely wonderful! I can't wait to buy the album, and hopefully see you all live again soon," Frances gushes. She's totally red in the face.

I look from her to Duff, my eyes flickering quickly to take it all in.

"Oh yeah? Well how about you come to our release party," Duff proposes. "This Saturday at eight. We're taking over that big warehouse near Sunset and Fairfax for it."

My own jaw drops a little at that, but not nearly as much as Frances'.

An album release party? And no one told me?!

"I'll be there!" Frances nods. Her eyes land on me, expression surprised, like she forgot I was even here. "Well, I better get going! It was such a pleasure, Chasity. Bless Paul for introducing us! And bye, Duff!"

Duff says goodbye, but it gets lost amidst Frances hugging me tight. She pulls me into her chest as if we've known each other forever. I appreciate it, an uncontrollable smile overtaking me.

"Bye, Frances. Don't lose my number, call me anytime!" I wave at her as she walks off, her doing the same when she turns back.

The passenger side door creaks as I open it, hopping in beside Duff. It makes the same long, loud groan as I shut it, dropping my bag to the floor beside my feet after I pull my heels off. I let out a sigh of relief at that, considering how worried I was about blisters.