Chapter 4

"That was super nice of him!"

"I know! And I really didn't feel like walking yesterday anyways. He said he'd be here today too." I tell Michelle as we walk, the last bell of the day having rung a few minutes ago.

"Damn it!" I can see the shock on her face, like she's just remembered something. "We have another practice today. Kristie and her friends were slacking off yesterday and kept talking." Michelle looks miserable as she speaks.

As much as she loves volleyball, it can be tough. Our school's team has a reputation of being really good, and because of that the coach doesn't tolerate anything but the best.

"Well at least it'll help you do well for the game." I say, trying to cheer her up.

"True," She nods. "But I wish we could veg out and watch MTV instead."

"We can! Tomorrow night."

We're nearly in front of the doors to the gym now, where Michelle needs to be when she has practice.

"Okay. I'll call you tonight. Love ya."

Michelle gives me a hug, and I squeeze her right back before saying bye.

It's as if I can't get out of school fast enough after that.

Today, Dylan tried to put his arm around me in the hallway.

I was minding my own business, trying to get to my finance class when him and all his friends turned around the corner. There was no escaping him at that point, not when my class was still a few halls away.

"Hey Chas. I figured I can call you that now, right? Since we're going to be so close."

"I don't think so," I said simply as I continued to walk down the hall, not even bothering to look at him.

It would've been a waste of precious energy to do so. But I still couldn't help but feel disgusting.

"Oh, c'mon. Everyone thinks we would be so cute."

That was when it happened. He moved so quick I had no choice but to do what he wanted, his arm practically shoving me into his side.

By the grace of God, an older teacher shouted that there was to be no public displays of affection on school campus, and that if we didn't stop, we would get detention.

I wasn't even thinking when I spoke as soon as I was out of Dylan's grip, and that teacher was nowhere to be found.

Why I said it, I don't really know. But I did, and I can't figure out of it was a mistake or a good idea.

"I have a boyfriend. That guy yesterday, he's my boyfriend. So you better leave me alone, Dylan. He doesn't mess around."

And I walked away, leaving him there fuming.

Even thinking about it right now makes heat rush to my face.

Axl is definitely not my boyfriend. Not even close! But what else could I say to Dylan, when I've tried everything else?

That display of protectiveness from Axl yesterday was only because he knows Duff, and Axl knows Duff is protective over me the way a brother is.

There is no other explanation. It was simply because he was looking out for me.

And now I've gone and told Dylan that Axl and I are a thing, and Lord knows what will happen now that I've said that to him. Will he hunt Axl down and fight him? Tell him what I said? And if he finds out that it was a lie, what will he do to bother me now?